hello, I am 41 yrs old, I am on methadone for 6 weeks now, maybee 7, and taking it for a dilaudid addiction i couldnt kick. I was on it before but tapered dopwn and was using cocaine during the taper, so i didnt feel much . I got out of control with the cocaine and started with the pill to kill the cravings, bad mistake, Anyway, the habit is  behind me , as it only lasted a couple months and i hated being addicted. I am wondering what to expect if i go cold turkey from 50 mg, I have never increased my dose over 50. Will the withdrawals be as bad as someone who has been on longer.
The problem is , if i go 3 days , i am kicked off program, which means if it get unbearable i am stumped, no more methadone for me.
I just hate the liquid handcuffs, and want off. I feel like now is the time, maybee i should go get my drink for a week but only drink half, I asked doc to taper me a bit as the dose makes me sweat unbearable and i cant work with those symptons. I could drink half, spit out other half, and next week drink a 1/4 and spit out rest, and then quit, its the best plan i can come up with as the doctor wont taper me , and i need to go back to work and  cant
please ,are the withdrawals considerably less where i am only on 50 and its only been 6 to 7 weeks on the methadone
thanks you

your doctor will not taper you down? That's CRIMINAL!!! Is there more to it, or is your clinic privately owned by your doctor, therefore he loses money when a client wants to get clean? My clinic is exactly like that; PRIVATE FOR PROFIT! They should help you go down 5mg/week, or 1mg/day. That's the best and least painful way to detox. Suboxone works amazingly for a detox, however, you must commit to 12-24 hours of pure, freakin' misery first. The first dose will throw you into an immediate, intense state of withdrawal. The longer you can hold out to take the first dose the better. Why? The antagonist in Suboxone (naltrexone) reacts with the dope in your body. The more dope, or methadone, in your system, the worse you'll feel. I'm on 115mg, so I can make it three days before I honestly start to feel sick sick. The psychological part of it is much worse than the physical part. People who complain after one day just forgot what "dope-sickness" REALLY feels like. If you wait until you can't wait any more, the second dose of Suboxone will already help you turn that corner; mentally and physically. I'm no doctor. For detox my doctor gave me 8mg(1 whole orange pill) of Suboxone, twice daily. After a week, take just  one daily, or split pill in half to take in am and pm. I suggest tapering yourself off the suboxone within 3 weeks from day one. I promise you this: your dose, 50mg, is low enough to not cause any significant issues for detoxing. Do you take any other addictive medications, such as: Valium or any benzodiazepine? If not, that will help. Aside from lasting a longer amount of time, the severity will feel like a heroin, or OxyContin withdrawal.  The onset will be delayed by a few days with a methadone detox. Why? The half-life of methadone is very long, therefore it lasts a long time, it reduces the euphoric highs normally felt by narcotic pain-killers, and consequently it was given to addicts b/c it calms cravings, keeps addicts "well" throughout the day, and also blocks the high of most opiates. Do you get take-homes of methadone, at all? If so, stock-pile as much as possible. (1 or 2 weeks worth) Then you could leave the clinic and taper yourself with a liquid medicine dropper, or have a friend help you do it. If you have to resort to this last and illegal tactic, report your clinic or doctor to the US Department of Mental Health & Hygiene. They don't f**k around! 
Good Luck!

I was on Methadone for 2 and a half years for a pill addiction that lasted one and off for 12 years!!! I am ONLY 29 years old!!!! I ONLY went as high as 90mg...I know that SOUNDS high...BUT I was taking ALOT of pills. Mostly morphine...roxys.....and oxys. It was around a $100 plus a day habit. I was losing my famialy...and myself. I figured Methadone was the lesser evil...so I started at the clinic.  I DID NOT want to be at the clinic that long...but her I was 2 and a half years later. lol.  6 days ago I stopped at 15mg. I could NOT afford it anymore...it was $100 plus a week. I know that is WAYYY better then $100 plus a day...but still....times r tough. And I was NOT going to steal..pawn...borrow..or beg for Methadone like I did for pills. I WANTED to go down lower...but what could I do?  So I stopped at 15mg! OMG...withdrawls from Methadone SUCK!!!!  I know pill withdrawls suck also...but this is crazy!!! Im hearing it could take WEEKS...maybe MONTHS depending how long and what dose you are on! PLEASE DO NOT JUST STOPP!!!!! It is NOT god for your body or mind. If you go to the "clinic" have your counsler drop your dose 5mg a week till u get to about 20mg. Then IF you can go down another 5mg..go for it...but after that go down 1 or 2 mg at a time.  It will be SO more comfortable for you! DO NOT do what I did..and JUST STOP!!! I am suffering from MANY withdrawl symptoms..and Its like HELL!! I didnt think withdrawls would go so long....But as I read up about it..it seems to me that its WAYYYYY longer then Pills or Herion. I dont want to scare you...but just stopping is NOT a good idea. I wish I didnt...but its been 6 days and I WILL NOT TURN BACK NOW! i did go to the hospital yesterday and they pumped me with Vitamins and fluids and sent me on my way with a script of 15 .05 mg of xanax! They Help SOOOOOOOO much!!! I didnt WANT to take anything...but NOTHING else was helping!  I only took 2 yesterday and guess what?........I slept almost 8hours!!!!!!!! Thats the most ive slept in 5 days total. I feel better today...well better then I have. Foods still a problem. Im starving..but eating makes me sick. I thought this morning I could eat some eggs. lol Well I thought wrong. I puked them up!!!! Its gunna be tough. Everything that is worth anything in life is HARD!! You can do it!!!!

I am on day 31 of methadone withdrawal:D My muscles still hurt at times but other than that-all is well. I was on it for 7 LONG years after 5 yrs of HUGE percocet and oxycontin dependancy(like 60 a day at times!) I went up to around 85mgs of methadone the first 2yrs-then down slowly to 55mgs where i hovered for a yr or two. The last 2 yrs were spent going down slowly (5mgs-2mgs every 2 weeks) Down to 3mgs....then off of it. PREPARE for symptoms and carry immodium, gravol, vitamins, and eat well-hard boiled eggs, fresh vegetables and salads and TONS of water. Greek yogurt helps a lot also. Also-those BOOST protein drinks for energy. You will beef up a bit but only for a while i think. You gotta have some help with chores and take it easy but i found withdrawals to be nothing like what people are talking about on here as i have been able to function pretty normally and I am pretty active normally. I know this sounds weird for those of you who may not be religios or spiritual-but pray. It does help. Keep a journal so that you can remind yourself why you NEVER want to be addicted to anything again. Get some comedy shows into you too-laughter really DOES increase your endorphins-NATURALLY:) Thank God. Best of luck to everyone....if I can do it-YOU can do it too! STAY FOCUSED AND POSITIVE:D

You wont do yourslef any favors by dropping off from 50 ml I stopped my script at 25ml after 3 years two weeks ago and my withdraws are worse on week two than one!! Withdraws you could expect to have stomach cramps so bad you literally sh*t yourslef, aching legs, insomnia, sneezing, shivering but sweating the same time its a living hell its a better option to go back to your doc and ask them to reduce you 5ml every two weeks.  They have to listen to your wishes

You have my sympathy I stopped my script two weeks today and its got worse and worse, its way worse than a heroin cluck, I was on 25ml, been on a script for 3 yrs starting at 90ml. worst idea I ever had was to stop it dead. but as its 2 wks I wont ask to go back on meth. ~Wish I had never ever touched heroin or meth!!!xxxx Im the same too, hungry but stomach wont let me eat!! keep your head up its got to end sumtime xxx

Im currently 36 days clean off the methadone, and thats from a 21 day taper from 130mgs. I am not feeling correct at all my body aches badly still diarrhea for the whole 36 days, hold and cold but thats not to say the withdrawals havent let up abit, I can finally sleep but only while being stoned I have a prescription to Xanax i want to use so bad and i tried 1 i had and i feel right to sleep basically Im getting very depressed and I should be happy cause I dont have to goto the clinic everyday/week but I dont feel it I feel sorry for myself and wish this would end so I can finally feel normal, does anyone have a honest answer to when I might start feeling these go away for good? Thanks
Michael

no way, you will get real sick. you can only get off slowly. I wouldn'

Hi i was at the clinic for two years i went all the way up to 150 and then over the past four months i tapered down 5 mgs a week on the last week go down one till you get to none if you need to be in control i went off of 5 mg and i went through some pretty bad withdrawls i really wanted to be off methadone thou. well everyone is different but it all depends on how long you have been on it. methadone sticks to your fat cells and messes with the neurological system in the brain. my first days i didnt sleep i layed in bed the first week and now its been two and i am almost normal. i still get body cramps and have to be on a none narcotic sleeping med prescribed by the hospital and or provider, there is hope and have faith you can do this.. the longer you are on the harder is all i am saying..

I had to go cold on methadone and its hell. And its been five weeks and I still feel the effects but not as bad but its still uncomfortable. They need to outlaw methadone clinics. I will never go back. It's true its all about the money. Jc.

To tell you the truth you better think before you go up. Start coming down the withdrawals are much worse coming off methadone . It's pure hell. Promise. They won't tell you that at the clinicat least they didn't tell me. And I have tried a handful of drugs. It's so much worse. Oxy was my addiction. Good luck .jc.

you dont have to take anything you dont want.the docter cant make you take a certain dose.tell him the dosr ur on is just too much and you want to decrease ur dose.they will.also you can detox off methadone at ur own pace.i have been on and off methadone for years and i myself wouldnt recommend coming off more then 1 milagram per week if you dont want to feel any withdrawls.its a slow process but doable!good luck.i do know how you feel and i hate having to take it too just to feel normal.

Thanks for your upbeat post. I am glad to hear someone was able to function I was not. However I believe the worst is over. It has been six hellish weeks. Your suggestions for coping are really promising. I am going to write them down to remind myself of the options I do have.

I too was boosted by that previous positive post. Also, at 7 weeks I feel like the worst is over, however I still feel itchy, very tired (even though I'm sleeping nightly), my legs feel heavy, low energy, and I feel very anxious and depressed. Today seems worse than the previous few days, but I was told it would be a roller coaster. I just don't feel 'normal' and I really want to be.