I have heard that there is a small number of women have difficulty taking synthetic progesterone. As a result, I have heard woman might become depressed. I want to know if that is possible, and how. What do you think; could I get panic disorder because of Mirena IUD? I would really like to find out more about this problem.

That is true that progesterone affects a number of mechanisms in the brain that control serotonin levels. This means that women could feel different while taking any kind of birth control, and Mirena also. It is possible for women who feel irritable on progesterone or find that it makes them anxious and depressed. Those women generally have difficulty tolerating hormone replacement or birth control pills that contain this substance. A clinician will usually offer natural progesterone as an alternative to synthetic progesterone. If the patient is still reactive, there are other options for them. Progesterone-sensitive women may be able to tolerate a Mirena IUD, which is a progesterone IUD. These choices have the advantage of limiting the brain's exposure to progesterone but require careful monitoring of these patients. These solutions are suitable for those on hormone replacement therapy so Mirena sounds as a good choice. The woman who is irritable or anxious on the birth control pill is often advised to try another form of birth control, but I think Mirena cannot cause you panic disorder.

I really disagree with this as everyone is different for some many reasons internally with how they react to therapies, there is definitely more than a few people who have had mental and emotional problems linked directly with mirena and low and behold those problems disappear upon removal of the IUD. It reminds me of the great cigarette debacle when there is definite proof in numbers that something is wrong, but it can't be the obvious it must be something else. Take these zoloft, hydroxypam, lorazepam, etc and call us if any thing else changes. Really do the research before and birth control in the end it's your body and your choice but anymore it seems that choice is hard to make when everything isn't presented to you in a fair light. ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***

just want to share my experience with mirena. i got my mirena inserted in february 2013. it was very painful and i had problems the entire time i had it. it started with long periods and progressed from there. my period lasted the entire time i had it in and every time i had sex the bleeding gotn even worse. slowly over time, looking back, i realizze that my life started going downhill after i got the mirena inserted. i was moody, exhausted, and anxious. fast forward to april 2013. my heart is racing, chest and left arm hurting and tears are rolling down my face. i am in a full blown nasty panic attack that i have never suffered from before. i legitimately thought i was dying from a heart attack. i got over that and went on with my life. as the next month passed my panic attacks became more frequent and more severe. these are the things i feared in different panic attacks: heart attack, stroke, blood clot, tumor, anaphelactic shock, seizure, coma, hole in throat. the main one was a heart attack. in early may i began having daily panic attacks about the things above that i mentioned and every one of them felt so real to me that it became crippling. i lost 10 pounds in seven days, i wasn't eating sleeping, drinking, talking, anything. mmy life felt ruined. on may 17th i made the connection that the mirena was the problem when i googled "mirena panic attacks" and found many other women with my same problem. i called my doctor and immediately got in removed. today is may 21st and im already feeling tons better. i havent had a real panic attack since i got it removed and every day i improve a little bit. im determined to get my story out there to help other women. do not get the mirena!