I've been regularly taking a contraceptive pills prescribed by my OB. Not until this month, I have missed less than 4 tablets in the 3rd week. According to the instruction once you missed less than 4 pills then do not follow the 7 days free intake, instead start another new pack of pills and use additional protective sex. During that suppose to be free week, I had unprotected sex with my husband since using condom doesn't make me feel comfortable. During that week also I am expecting my period, until today I still wonder why I missed my period, its been 8 days no presence of period. Does that mean I am pregnant? I am still continuing the pills, just in case I am pregnant will it affect the baby? Pls. advice. Thanks.

Hi:

As you know, birth control methods have about a 1% change of not working. In addition, you have to follow the schedule for taking them or your chanced of getting pregnant are increased. I've had friends that were shocked to find out that they were pregnant when they followed the pill schedules exactly as they were prescribed. Sorry...I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but it' always good to deal with the facts. It is not advisable to continue the pills if there is even a small chance that you could be pregnant, and it sounds like, in your case, there is. Did you take a pregnancy test?

I am not considering a pregnancy test yet not until 2 weeks had passed. Before I started taking pills.. once happened that I delayed my period and my OB suggested to wait for two weeks to make sure if I am confirmed pregnant. So it is negative.

Well, more than two weeks have passed since that last test. Your doctor recommended waiting another two weeks. What were your results? It doesn't sound like you were planning on having a baby, is that true. Are you excited if you are pregnant? Please let us know how you are feeling about things. I'd really like to know how you are doing now. Please let us know. I hope all is well with you.