Hi there! I have a problem with my last left molar. At first I had just pain at the back of my of my jaw, swelling, and stiffness of the jaw but lately I started having pain at the back of my ears as well. Are these symptoms of an impacted wisdom tooth? If yes, what can be done? Thx

Hi there! Yes, these symptoms sure look like impacted wisdom teeth. And it seems to me that they are pretty severe! You should definitely visit a dentist. He may give you some antibiotics to provide temporary pain relief but a surgical removal is the permanent solution as antibiotic will relief the pain but will not eliminate the problem. As for the surgery, you may choose if you want to have local or general anesthesia that is choose whether you want to be awake or asleep.

Hi! I am reading your story and I have a feeling like I am living this again :/ Horrible wisdom tooth pain, right? Well, an impacted tooth is a tooth that gets blocked as it is pushing through the gum into your mouth, which means that wisdom teeth often are impacted. Sure, sometimes that impacted tooth can be totally painless and there is no need for you to be worried, because you may not even realize it's there - what doesn't hurt it is not there, right? Well, on the other hand, when this impacted wisdom tooth tries to come in, the flap of gum on top of it can become infected and swollen. It hurts a lot and requires a dentists observation. 

I see that this post was made in late 2005, but since it was on the top of Google's list for "wisdom teeth symptoms", I thought I'd reply for other peoples' sake.

The person who previously posted has some misleading information. Antibiotics do not relieve pain, they kill the bacteria causing the infection. If there's no infection, taking antibiotics is pointless. It can cause your own natural 'healthy' bacteria to die, opening you up to different infections. It can cause an overgrowth in the fungus, Candida and you can get oral thrush, vaginal yeast infections, etc.

For pain relief, first try an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory/pain reliever, such as Ibuprofen or Naproxen-sodium. I'd avoid any aspirin containing products, as aspirin is a blood thinner.

If your Dr wants to prescribe you antibiotics without being entirely sure if that's the problem, ask them to do some blood work for a white blood cell count and some cultures for bacterial or fungal infections. You don't ever want to take a prescription medication for the wrong illness.

If possible, make an appointment with your dentist. If these are problems with your incoming wisdom teeth, he/she would definitely know what to do!

I know office visits to both a Doctor and a Dentist can be very pricey, but remember that your health is very important. If it is a serious infection (bacterial, fungal or viral), it's imparitive to seek treatment/advice right away.

Also- not all wisdom teeth need to be removed. It's up to you and your dentist to decide what's best for you.

Thanks for reading!

I have had simple teeth taken out with just the shot . Impacted wisdom teeth go to sleep . Find a good oral surgeon and pay the extra its worth it . I was eating steak the next day with stitches in my mounth and dont forget to shoot the synringe of water over and over into the holes in your jaw so they dont heal over with food particles inside them . If your dentist says its necessary do it it will save your other teeth , pain will dissapate and you will be one happy camper other then paying the bill . Again having teeth removed both ways ...being put out is so much better . Only thing I remembered was my head being whacked on a little . Thanks Dad for driving your 28 year old son there and back and helping finance the bill making it possible . At that point in my life it was the most expensive surgery i ever had plus was non insured . I have a dream where one day all Americans have universal health care its not a option and either is euthanasia . For sure without one you must have the other . People are suffering at all ages without care until they collapse afraid of hurting their families financially now . I figured we have advanced as a Nation and society that desired more by now . Shame on those that have finances who are so greedy they do not want to help those that don't who are sick and needy . Shame on for profit medicine its time it was done away with for all but the super rich they will always have it .

Thanks Canada and their free health care!

But back to the topic. I just wanted to point out that I also have the exact same symptoms as the first post. I have a really stiff jaw that doesn't want to open more then an inch, my jaw ridge is even sensitive, my ear hurts, my glands are swollen, neck is sore, and I have been getting a little cyst that burst and come back again in side my mouth near the site of the pain. i really didn't think it was wisdom teeth untill now from reading around. I thought I had the flu and TMJ. anyone else? on top of all the pain on the left side of my face, I have been weak, dizzy and have had headaches and sensitivity to light. I am travelling this weekend so I'm not looking forward to waitting to see a doctor.

If anyone else has any suggestion other than wisdom teeth or if they are sure its my tooth, then please reply.

This thread has helped me immensely in beleiving my dentist!! When i first went i was suffering from exactly the same symptoms, swollen neck, horrific pain in my ear and my jaw would not open more than an inch. I was convinced having read most other health websites that i was suffering from a dental abscess, and did not at first beleive the dentist when he said i was suffering from an impacted wisdom tooth. He wasnt completley convincing with his diagnosis and certainly didnt appear too sure of himself, but having read some of these posts i can now carry on with my medication. God bless the dentist!!!

So i read the last reply and i know this is a little late, but i have been having the same problems. My wisdom teeth started coming in and then they stopped and now, a year later, they are coming in again and they are hurting like hell! The dentist told me they were impacted and that i needed to get them out soon. Well i didnt because i had no insurance and wont until December 1st. My neck feels swollen and my jaws hurt and sometimes lock up, i have a headache all day and sensitivity to light as well. I take pain pills and it goes away but always comes back. Is there anything i can do before then to ease the pain?

Hi Saraheli,

I have exactly the same symptoms as yourself - did you find out the problem/cause. I am booked in at the dentist tomorrow for an xray - hopefully they will be able to diagnose the problem.

So neck swelling is a normal symptom?

My wisdom teeth started stirring a month ago and now cause enough pain to make me wake up several times throughout the night for the past week and a half or so. I initially had the limited jaw opening, tenderness, and high sensitivity to pressure (i.e. chewing). I have been to the dentist and I have fully impacted wisdom teeth (completely buried in tissue). Fortunately, I have an appointment set for the removal, but in the last few days my neck has been incredibly swollen, it actually looks bowed out on the sides.

I just wanted to know if this is a symptom I should have looked at immediately or not, but it sounds like it should be okay. Plus, my oral surgeon said infection isn't really realistic since the wisdom teeth will never erupt.

If anyone knows why this would be something to get checked, please let me know! I'll be checking back. Meanwhile, thanks for all the helpful posts.

Actually, can't your wisdom teeth get infected if they have poked a hole in your gum? My tooth poked a whole and is trapped underneath my gum where bacteria was let in, and it got infected...

Almost everybody who posted a reply mentioned something about a swollen neck--but what does that mean exactly? The reason I want to know is I have an impacted wisdom tooth on the bottom right side of my mouth that has erupted kind of sideways and is pushing on the molar next to it. But what's really bothering me is that a muscle on the right side of my neck (sternocleidomastoid) is completely bowed out and is continously contracting, except for when I am lying down, and I am wondering if there could be a connection between the two. I really could use some advice fast because the pain in my neck is unbearable.

Wow! This has been so helpful! I've had a swollen throat and neck for months now and I thought it was my thyroid, but that has turned out to be normal. I have impacted wisdom teeth and am hopefully getting them out within a month.
I've also had random spots of pain in my head, like small headaches that last for a few seconds. I have constant pressure in my head as well (thought that was a sinus infection, but have taken antibiotics and it hasn't gone away).
Whoa! I've also had that weird thing where something in my neck kind of pops once in a while.

Does this sound like it's from my wisdom teeth?

Thanks so much!

I,myself, have had alot of these symptoms. For approx. 4 wks., I've been having dizzy spells, and a lump on the left to the rear of my neck. Neck has been stiff, just thought it was tension from work. Last week, after having neck pain and headache, my ear started to bother me. I use earplugs sometimes at work so I thought--earache. Then early this morning, I awoke with my tongue and inner jaw swollen. When I went to the bathroom and looked in my mouth a white piece of tooth was sticking through the gum. My mind was more at ease, my wisdom tooth! Maybe this helps someone. Plan to see dentist in next week. Oh yeah I've had a very isolated and on point pain in one of my head. If your eye was X and Y was the ear, draw a line from each and where the cross is the pain. Never thought wisdom teeth. I'm 30 and my first My mother got 2 at 35 yrs. and no more.

I`ve been thru several days now with this horrible neck and jaw pain on my left side now that is making me very sick now.. vomiting, dizziness, restless when sleeping, can`t bare to lay my head to the left, didn`t think I had a wisdom tooth left? But maybe I do, now it`s saturday and it feels like a dental emergency to me??