I am a 20 year old female who recently had a bout with what i'm pretty was strep throat. It started out with a fever and just generally feeling run down and bad, and a sore throat. I was in bed for two days with the most killer sore throat in the world, but I'm feeling much better now, thanks to a Z-pack.

A friend of mine a few months ago had strep throat as well, but his ended up being due to impacted wisdom teeth that were causing an infection. A few weeks ago I went in to see my dentist about my wisdom teeth because I was having pain in my jaw on the right side. He said that the tooth was trying to push through, but that it was not impacted so it wouldn't be a problem. He put me on amoxicillan to clear up an infection that I had (apparently this is common). As for my other wisdom teeth, the x-rays show that they won't be coming in for a long time... I can't remember whether or not they were impacted, however.

I've been reading that sometimes an infection caused by impacted wisdom teeth is sometimes mistaken for strep. I'm having pain on my left side--my left lymph node is swollen and painful, i have slight pain in my left ear, and there are white patches on my throat on the left side.

So far I haven't had any real jaw pain (though I did before, with the right wisdom tooth), but I feel a weird pressure in my mouth. Could this just be from the swollen glands in my neck? My gums don't look swollen. If I press on my gums or mouth area it doesn't hurt. So I'm very confused... is it strep or does it have to do with my wisdom teeth?? Especially because the problem I was having was on my RIGHT side, and he said nothing was going on with the left side. Anyone have any advice or insight?

Thanks!
Amy

I have the same symptoms you described--one sided tonsillitis, basically, with swollen glands. I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled a year ago. There was always pain after they were pulled, in the places were they had been (they were impacted and never surfaced). A week & a half ago the pain became severe and I got a fever. The tonsillitis and an accompanying ear infection became apparent about 4 days ago. I believe these things are related but my doctor is not listening to me.

At this point I am pretty much convinced tonsillitis and impacted wisdom teeth are related. I had a right side tonsillitis for about on and off 2 years. At the same time, my impacted wisdom tooth was surfacing little by little. My right tonsil has been OK for over a couple of months now and I have just realized my wisdom tooth on the same side finally came through. But guess what, last week i got tonsillitis on my left side and it turns out I have a wisdom tooth coming through on the same side. It must be related! I am considering my wisdom teeth to be removed. Any advise anyone? Thanks?

Hello. First of all I thought I was going to be reading the votes and accidently voted. Oops! Secondly,  I was wondering about this myself because my daughter has been complaining for a few weeks about her wisdom teeth hurting.  Now the last couple of days she has had throat pain. This morning her throat is swollen and has white spots all over it.  I do believe the two are related.  Not strep, but tonsillitis and wisdom teeth.  So do I take her to a doctor or the dentist? :-)

I can confirm (both doctors and dentists have confirmed this) - YES (!) it is very common that if your wisdom tooth (Teeth) are misbehaving such as impacted or they are trying to push their way out - this commonly causes tonsilitis. It's something to do with the activity of the wisdom tooth making your body stressed in the mouth and so any bacteria can make its move - and as the wisdom teeth are so close to the tonsils - this is the favourite thing for bacteria to try and attack.

Hope this helps to all suffering from this - I know from experience of wisdom teeth that cause problems - its not nice at all, I got tonsilitis goodness knows how many times in space of 18 months that finally the dentist agreed to take 1 wisdom tooth out.

Good luck x

My teen just had their wisdom teeth removed last week. They can't eat or drink because it feels like something is stuck in their throat. I am wondering if it is their tonsils. going back tomorrow to find out.

My throat has been soar and swollen for 5-6 months, my wisdom teeth have been causing a lot of pain, have had digestive problems, extreme fatigue, muscles weakness especially in the arms on off swithing to the side of my wisdom teeth that hurt, soar throats, itching on my skin, hair thinning, eye floaters that look like worms, sinus problems, and even chest pains, is all this from my wisdom teeth, the doctors had know idea what was going they tryed to say it wad anxiety and depression lol how could all this be from that, went to the dentist he said they wouldn't cause all these symptoms and I've read multiple time online that they do, they've only looked in my mouth for a sore infection or abcessed tooth, is this some sord of infection that's going undetect by the doctor and dentist like they are not doing anything for me no antibiotics or anything it's like they don't know what going on should'nt dentist know all the problems wisdom teeth can cause. Will it be safe to get them out, while I'm sick, will it start going away once I get them out.

to ScubaSteve1994, hey man , i've read your reply on this topic and i think i'm showing the same symptoms as yours. May i ask what treatments did you use? and if your problems with your sore throat and other stuff are gone. thanks for your reply in advance.

Make sure ur put out completely I've just had mine taken out Friday just gone I'm in agony still I can't swallow I can't eat or drink and think I have tonsillitis as got white lumps on the side that I had the tooth removed from. My advice would be to not get it done at all but I'm sure it will be worth the pain in the end. I'm day three in and worse for ware I'm back up the dentist today for strong meds hope this is helpful

I have the same symptoms, Could you tell me what you did for treatment?

Hi, I've been experiencing similar problems I'm a 20 year old female, rarely ill. I've just recently been to the dentist for a check up and mentioned some soreness in my left side from a wisdom tooth surfacing but was told it was coming through fine. About a week later I started suffering with a very high temperature night sweats and extreme fatigue accompanied with headaches.

After most 2 weeks of this my throat became soar and swollen, white / yellow spots on my toncills. Doctors prescribed me with 10 days of strong antibiotics. This is my 4th day on them things have improved however the white spots on my toncills seem to be getting no better and I've come to realise that is is worse on my left side... The same side as my wisdom tooth which is surfacing.

I have never had tonsillitis until this time. And I don't just think it's a coincidence that it's when my wisdom tooth is surfacing. I too believe the two are related!

*can anybody recommend home remedies like gargling warm salt water???? It just doesn't seem to be shifting!*

Wow. I'm having the same problems.

Me too having the very same story, and wonder whether to visit the doctor or to not

Yes I do have wisdom teeth on my left lower jaw..and its often get inflammation in every two moths , and I often get antibiotics oralm.this time I got jaw pain with strep throat on both side

I am currently going through this. I feel this dryness in my throat and pressure too but it's more on the left side where my wisdom tooth is impacted. Just finished taking antibiotics and still no improvement.