This is my first post on this site but I come here in desperation of any helpfl information because the pain is becoming unbareable at this point.

Introducion- About 1 year ago I was diagnosed with a neurobiological disorder called Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder (HPPD) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogen_persisting_perception_disorder. The disorder was caused by my consumption of psilocybin psychedlic mushrooms and MDMA (ecstasy) and I experience all of the symptoms listed on the wikipedia article and more, including other various visual disturbances not listed, persistent 24/7 tinnitus, and cognitive impairments (meaning clouded thinking) and memory lapses, and a 24/7 dissociative state called derealization. I am prescribed Clonazepam which is the most recommended medication for the treatment of the 24/7 anxiety that is produced by the mental state that this disorder causes.

About 4 months ago I started to develop these very painful and most of the time debilitating headaches when my bloodflow and heart rate increase, although sometimes the headaches would start when I would just be sitting down and doing things like reading or watching T.V. They can also be sparked by stepping into a very bright atmosphere after being inside of a dimmed environment. I have a very short temper and it only worsens the problem and im working on that. Sometimes these headaches are concentrated in one specific area, and sometimes they are on both sides of my head and there is ALWAYS facial pressure present, meaning that I get this painful and for a lack of a better word..odd feeling behind my eyes and starting at my cheekbones and rising up to my temples that feels like something is pushing on these areas. The Clonazepam does not help at all with the pain, and I've been taking OTC aspirin of all kinds (tylenol, Advil, Aleve, etc.) and none of them help at all. I've gone up to 1500mg somedays of these various aspirins with little to no success in thwarting the pain.

I'm in the process of finding a doctor for this problem but the situation is that I strongly believe that the neurobiological disorder, HPPD, is somehow tied to these headaches and every doctor I've been to has never heard of this disorder even though it's listed in the DSM-IV (diagnostic manual for psychiatric disorders). I keep in contact with someone that is involved in studying HPPD who has the disorder himself, and he's done work at John Hopkins research facility and currently works at the mental hospital there. I've talked to him about this and he thinks the 2 problems are interlinked somehow.

These pictures are from a doctor that basically initiated the research for this and it compares topographic imaging of a control groups brain response after a visually evoked response test to people with HPPD. The pictures shows very abnormal response in the HPPD group in the Occipital and Temporal lobe regions which are the main cortex's responsible for visual processing.

http://amrglobal.powweb.com/hallucinogen-persisting-perception-disorder/beam2-enlarged

http://amrglobal.powweb.com/hallucinogen-persisting-perception-disorder/beam1-enlarged

Any help or advice about how to deal with the pain of the headaches would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi have exactly the same. I think my chromic head are correlated to the hppd too. Idk if you'll see this but I'd be very curious to here how you are doing now.

* chronic head aches