Im 14 years old and i am very confused, i get abnormally frequent headaches persisting to about 1-2 a day, every day, accept maybe a few days... recently the type of headache has changed to a peircing pain everytime i get up, bad enough to bring tears to my eyes and keep me from moving. I have blamed this mainly on the fact of having a concussion in the past, but it now seems to be a little bit of a stretch for my concussion was a year ago. ... im not sure if i should associate back pain and irregular periods, for i can sometimes skip a month, or be around 2-3 weeks late, but i will inculde it in case. I am a very very active athlete playing 2 sports practically year round so i am in good health to the common eye....but im very worried, any ideas??

Hi! Yes, your headaches could be due to the concussion you had. I found that treatment of concussion involves monitoring and rest. Symptoms usually go away entirely within three weeks, though they may persist, or complications may occur. Repeated concussions can cause cumulative brain damage such as dementia pugilistica or severe complications such as second-impact syndrome. So you should definitely talk to your doctor and to your parents about your headaches and your back pain. As for the irregular periods, we can say that it is quite normal for a fourteen year old girl to have an irregular menstrual cycle. Some women have irregular periods for their entire lives. There are many outside influences that can cause irregular periods. Here are some: Medications, Significant weight gain or loss, Over-exercise, Poor nutrition (or a diet too high in carbohydrates), Drug use, Eating disorders, Increased stress. I hope you'll get well soon. Take care.