Hi I am just wondering if anyone has experienced what i am feeling. I have just recently been having this thing where my heart rate while sitting or resting is normal anywhere between high 50's to 80's but as soon i stand up it will shoot up to 120's to 140's. The problem is that its not always consistent. Sometimes I can get up and walk around and it wont do it at all. I have been to the ER 6 times and seen cardiologists and my regular doc. Everyone at first thought it was stemming from my acid reflux and gave me medicine for that. Then they thought it was anxiety so they gave me medicine for that. Than after seeing a psychiatrist and her saying she doesnt think its anxiety the docs have changed their tone a little. The cardiologists started me on 25MG of Toprol which I dont htink I need cause it doesnt seem to do much anyway. Now for the past week i have been getting these pulsating headached that go right along with my heart beat and sometimes they last all day and somrtimes they come and go. I had an echo and stress done back in august 06 and about 8 EKG's. I have had an event monitor for about 2 weeks and have sent in tons of info and yet they tell me they dont think its anything serious. Im having a normal sinus rythym its just beating fast sometimes. I am about at hopes end here. I have had just about every blood test done and yet i keep being told that im fine. Can somebody please open a door for me here and help shed some light on this. I dont understand how i am fine but yet I keep getting this c**p. Thanks

search the net for "orthostatic intolerance"

rshilts2005,

I'm a paramedic student (EMT) what it sounds like to me,

again.. I can only tell you what it sounds like to me, I don't know your

medical history is or anything.. I can not say that its going to be this or its going to be that.. BP High (High Blood Pressure)

the reason i say this.. is if your Heart rate is between 50's to 80's

when resting, and then shoots up to 120's to 140's

as soon as you get up that is often due to high bp..

lets say, that you were going shoping, and every once in a while you

have to rest because you feel like your going to pass-out or you could actually see your self passing out.. that means that your BP is high, so in order to stop this feeling, you need to rest your body..this is all common with High bp.. Many many people will not know they have High BP, the reason for this, is because there are no symptions of High Blood..

Another thing it could be is

As you say

I would get an MRI done, for the following:

1. Cerebral aneurysm

2. Cerebral Tumor

AGAIN.. i'm ONLY a paramedic student... i'm not a doctor...

And Again, I can not say that it is any one of those....

rshilts2005,
I'm wondering if you ever got an answer to this? I could have written your post word-for-word. I have have multiple tests, as well, to no avail. If you get this message and can post an update, I would really appreciate it. My dr. thinks I'm a nut. Last night the pulsating was going off in my head so bad I thought I was going to burst. It felt like one of those fountains in a bottle where the water shoots up a tube and blasts againts the top. I'm on a heart monitor right now because I've been having palpitations, but so far, everytime I call in the reading it's been fine.

Thanks

I have been having something similar for the past several months. at any time, walking, resting, sleeping (it wakes me up), my vision goes blurry, i feel dizzy, like i am going to pass out, and i get nauseated. it lasts for about 30 seconds and then afterwards, i get an awful headache, and get very tired. i wore an event monitor for 1 month. all it found was that when this happens i have sinus tachycardia, which i have been told is a symptom, not the problem. i am becoming very frustrated, as my doctor doesnt know what to do. i wish i had some answers for you, but i need them myself.

I have been having some of this for a while. They are looking into Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia for me - which includes a pheochromocytoma - look the pheo up. It is an endocrine (usually benign) tumor that releases adrenalin - very hard to test for - must do a 24 hour urine test. Go to an endocrinologist! Fast heart rate, High BP, headache - using beta blockers are supposed to make it worse. Treatment is find the tumor and take it out.

Hi. I have had some very similar problems recently that started back in November with a migraine with an aura (nearly lost my vision). Things have progressively gotten worse since. I've had episodes of feeling like I'm going to pass out, though I luckily never do. My heart rate seems to always get elevated w/ mild activities. I can't handle any of my everday activities anymore--even folding clothes b/c I get so out of breath with the rapid heartbeat. They've put me on Verapamil, a low dose b/c my blood pressure is normally already low. But my symptoms aren't getting better. None of my tests are showing anything either. The migraines are milder, but not completely gone. I've started acupuncture hoping for a miracle cure for the migraines that got so unbelievably severe, but that will more than likely not help the heart rate. The only anxiety I have right now is not knowing what is going on & what to do from here. So please write back & let me know if you've figured anything else out on your end. I'd love to know if there's any connection here. I'm sure we're both needing answers.

I was diagnosed with Venous Sinus Thrombosis (blood clots in my brain) back in November. Although I am anticoagulated, I have had increased headaches and recently extreme dizziness, weakness and rapid heart rate (about 100 resting) that lasts for several hours. I am going to the Mayo Clinic on the 2nd of April. I will hopefully get some answers as this is a very rare condidtion. If you have migraines that are not going away, I would really recommend getting a good Neurologist and having an MRI done to r/o serious conditions that may be difficult to diagnose as mine was. Good luck!

I TOO AM GOING THROUGH THE SAME PROBLEM. I AM ON THE 6TH MEDICATION AND THE ONLY THING IT DOES FOR ME IS MAKE ME TIRED MORE AND NUMB IN CERTAIN AREAS. I WAS DIAGNOSED 3 YEARS AGO WITH A TUMOR ON MY ADRENAL GLAND AND HAVE CT SCANS TWICE A YEAR. MY REG. DR SAYS IT IS FINE BECAUSE IT STAYS THE SAME. I HAVE MADE AN APPT WITH A ENDROCRONOLIGIST, NEURO, AND A DENTIST. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT COULD BE CAUSING ALL THIS. I AM AT MY WITS END. IT COULD BE TMJ THAT IS WHY I AM GOING TO THE DENTIST. EVENTHOUGH MY BLOOD TEST COME UP NORMAL GUM PROBLEMS OR INFECTIONS IN THE MOUTH CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS ELSEWHERE, I HAVE READ. IF YOU GET ANY ANSWERS PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I TOO AM VERY FRUSTRATED, AND COULD USE SOME HELP.

I'm not an expert, just a well-educated advocate for my own health), but one thing you may wish to research is dysautonomia or "autonomic neuropathy". There are many types, some fairly benign, some progressive and debilititating, so don't let that scare you. Diagnosis is very difficult, and usually only major university medical centers are properly equipped to do the testing. You will want to see a neurologist, not a cardiologist. A cardiologist will look for something wrong with your heart, and it will probably not occur to him or her that it could be the nerves controlling the heart rate that is the root of the problem.

In automonic neuropathy, there is damage to the small fiber nerves that control the autonomic nervous system - the part of your nervous system that controls your heart-rate, blood pressure, sweating (thermal regulation), digestion, bladder and some other things. Two really common types are "postural orthostatic tachychardia" and postural orthostatic hypotension". These conditions can be diagnosed via a tilt table test. Not every hospital can to the test properly. I had it done at my local hospital, but they did not do the test long enough to catch the rise in blood pressure and heart rate - as they used a manual BP cuff. A specialized neurology center will have transducers that can continually measure your heartrate and blood pressure. It is really a cool test. I found it very interesting. In my case, on going from horizontal to nearly vertical on the tilt table, my heart rate increased by about 30 beats per minute and my hands and feet began to swell because the blood was not being returned to my heart. In other people their heart rate stays okay, but their blood pressure plummets and they get dizzy and black out.

I was being treated by a neurologist for an entirely different condition when he noted some characteristic features of dysautonomia (dry lower leg skin, loss of leg hair and "waxy" upper body skin. He ran the full panel of autonomic testing and found that lots of things were abnormal. This explains a lot of really weird symptoms I've had over the years.

I am a college athlete, and have had a similar case, without the headaches. Every so often, usually after I begin to move fast, or perform an exploding movement (eg: swing a baseball bat), my heart begins to beat extremely fast. It only usually lasts about 10 seconds, but sometimes a little longer. A while ago, I got it tested and the doctor found out that I have an extra electrode in my heart, which is causing this irregula heartbeat. Sometimes the elctrode is activated, which causes this. He said that it is not serious. Just thought I'd give you my scenario. Hope that your condition gets better.

I have the same problem, but the difference is my resting heart rate is normally between 100 and 104. My heart rate has even spiked to 138 while I am sitting. I also have shortness of breath and my blood pressure also spikes when I am having an attach. I have always suffered from migraines and was being seen by a Neurologist for that. I had an allergic reaction to one of the drugs I was given and the started my symptons. I am currently seeing a cardiologist who put me on Verapamil (240mg), but I still have problems. Yesterday my heart rate was at 121 after cleaning my kitchen.

I have also been told by the ER Doctor that my symptons could be panic attack, but I knew something was wrong with me and followed up. My Cardiologist is currently cheking for Pheochromoctomo after finding low levels of adrenalin in my urin (tumors of the adreneal glands). I had a MRI and am currently waiting for the results. I am hoping this will solve my case.

Rapid Heart

everything you said has been happening to me. is it possible the blood pressure pills are causing it. anyone know. my doctor too said its nothing but it keeps happening over and over, something is not right.

Has anyone found any answers to this? I could have written the original post word for word. I too am on the generic toprol (metropolo), I am now on Lisinipril and have no problems at all with the BP, only the pulse rate. I was hospitalized and did the heart tests and nothing was wrong. But nobody can tell me what the hell is going on with these headaches and high pulse rate.

I WAS WATCHING THIS TV SHOW CALLED "MEDICAL MYSTERIES" THEIRS A CHEMICAL IN YOUR BRAIN THAT CONTROLS THESE PROBLEMS ,IT REGULATES THE BLOOD FLOW TO YOUR ENTIRE BODY!THIS SHOW DOCUMENTED A LADY IN MINNESOTA THAT HAD THESE SYMPTOMS FOR YEARS BELIEVE IT OR NOT HER HEAD ACHES IN HER CASE WERE DUE TO A HOT CLIMATE WHEN SHE RELOCATED TO L.A. AND FLORIDA ,TO CURE HERE HEAD ACHES SHE MOVED BACK TO MINNESOTA.

I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU PEOPLE OUT THAT SUFFER FROM THIS