So, where to begin. I'm an overweight 25 year old male. For the past 12 years or so, as far back as I care to remember, I've been getting really bad random headaches. They usually start when I'm asleep, since I seem to wake up for them, or they'll just randomly start. I become sensitive to light and sound, and it feels that my neck can't hold up my head anymore. When I have to do something strenous, then it flares up. AAnd to top it off, when I urinate, the pain flares up as well. I've been to several doctors. The first told me it was stress, but I'm not the kind of person to ever suffer from stress. The last told me that its my blood pressure, so i've been on meds since to lower my blood pressure, but that's not working either. I've had blood tests and an MRI (or CT scan, I can't remember). So, I'm at the end of my rope. These damn things hurt to the point where i can't even talk sometimes. If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.

There is a condition where the bones in the back of the head are to small and push the cerebral tonsil into your neck. This is called Chiari I Malformation. For some people who have this symptoms are brought on by head position. Basically it blocks the normal flow of spinal fluid from the spinal column to the brain because the base of the brain is being forced to share the same small space that the spinal cord is running through out of your skull. Any type of straining would cause a rise in the spinal fluid pressure and make you feel like... well I explain it like a headrush. a real bad headache that comes on suddenly like an ice cream headache only all over your head. It almost feels as if your brain is being squeezed. It can cause pain in your arms , legs, back, vision problems, and many many other nuerological symptoms. It is extremely underdiagnosed and can be easily diagnosed ( if they are told what they are looking for) in an MRI. I had about 5 MRI"s before a GOOD radiologist finally spotted the herniation I have... which is about 16 mm out of my skull... not fun and a painful condition. I hope you dont have this but it is always a possibiltity and I if I can help one person then I would be happy.
Best wishes.

I have to say, this same exact thing happens to me, and has been going on since I was a kid!
Usually when I run, or play sports. Sometimes out of nowhere, or at work.

My parents wouldn't even believe me when I told them I had a headache, because it wasn't comomn for a kid, especially in the neck!
So I would constantly hit or punch my neck, because somehow it lowers the pain. That's how much it'd hurt.

I HAVE A HEADACHE NOW, it's why after 19 years, I decided to search it up, also because I don't like to consume any sort of medicine, or go to the doctor for any kind of reason.

What I did to lower the pain, is lay my head on a cold bar, so that the neck hits the bar, pushing it down the bar, with the weight of my head. It also works for some reason as well. I guess I was blocking some sort of flow...? Anyhow, another MAJOR reason that I'm posting this, is very quite simple.

I don't suffer from diabetis, or low blood sugar level, as a matter of fact, I have ADD! That's right. Honestly somehow I think that has to do with it. I've read many many articles on these headaches, and founds them useless, for non of the symptoms were reasoned for my headache, except exercise.
I find it interesting noone has mentioned ADD, and obviously I don't suffer from any kind of stress, thus eliminating another factor.
So what is it...? I still also don't know, and simply figured I'd post this just to add another factor to it. ADD or ADHD.

All the help appreciated, Thx!

Best,

Concerned Researcher
======================

I have the same thing as well.

I find that the headaches are almost guaranteed when I have to do things that involve bending over. I have good blood pressure and have alos had an MRI with no results. Last night I woke up with one of these headaches at 3:00 a.m.
Same as always left side starting in the neck, I could barely stand it. My solution is like yours, cold massaging of the neck into the head on the left side. Also I have taken tons of different migraine relief pills with no results, from zomeg to tylenon 3. Oddly enough advil seems to make a dent if I catch it early enough, but can't touch it if the headache gets into full swing.
Last night I probably did some damage because I took two aspirin, two advil, and a t3 to combat the pain whilst my wife messaged the back of my head.
It seems doctors are more interested in relieving the pain than finding the problem.

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM IT FEELS LIKE YOU WANT TO TAKE YOUR HEAD OFF. I HAVE BEEN TO NEUROLOGIST AT AT NEUROSCIENCE INSTITUTE THEY TOLD ME THAT THEY HAVE EXAUSTED ALL OF THERE RESOURCES ON ME. THEY ARE SENDING ME TO A NY HOSPITAL A HEADACHE CENTER. I HAVE PAIN IN MY HEAD EVERYDAY AND MY HUSBAND NOR THE PEOPLE AT MY JOB OR THE DOCTORS SEEM TO UNDERSTAND THAT.

I too have this same type of headache. I have been searching for an answer to this problem for quite a few years. My doctor started me on BP meds about 7 years ago. We have tried diet modification, exercise and more to bring a stop to the headaches. The meds seemed to help for a while, but now they miss the mark. I usually just get the standerd "you're overweight AND have high BP" lecture from my doctor now. The thing is, I didn't HAVE high BP until i started taking the BP meds! So, that leads us back to square one. WHY do i have this type of 'back of the head' headache. Stress? Maybe, but I don't tend to stress out to easy. It takes a lot for me to feel stressed. Foods? I don't think so. Regardless of what I'm eating OR NOT eating, i get the same headache. They are mostly random and the only thing i have noticed that triggers them specifically is strenuous or vigorous activity (i.e. sex). They do often reach a level of pain that makes me blackout and when I have already exhausted what pain meds I take and had no effect, i fold a bath towell to the width of a blindfold then wrap it around my head, covering my eyes AND ears. I lie down in a dark quiet room and wait. Sometimes I fall asleep, but not always. Often it hurts so bad I can't sleep and have been woken up many times from the pain. It's always the same, in the back of my head, near the base of my skull. I don't know what to do and I kinda think my Doctor doesn't care anymore.....

I've been getting the same kind of headaches for the past few weeks. The pain is always on my right side and runs from the centre of my neck to the back of my ear. It feels like I've been hit by/with something.
These headaches are different from the ones I have when my blood pressure is acting up, those make my head feel "fuzzy", there is pain but not anything more than a normal headache.

I have had headaches for years off and on. They go from the upper part of my neck into the back of my head.
Recently they have been happening more frequently.
The pain occurs when I wake up in the morning; almost every morning. A prescription pill usually
cures the pain but was advised not to take too often.
Could there be another problem, perhaps with my neck or head?
I cannot stand taking medicine, especially if there is another problem that I do not know about.
Any help would be appreciated.

I get the same kind of headaches. I have had them on and off for about 4 or 5 years and have been to two doctors as well as emercency and nobody can give me any answers! You would think that somebody would have complained about the same thing at least once before me. My headaches are usually sharp pains in the bottom left back of my head (almost like electric shocks) and they sometimes feel like someone is stabbing me in the back of the head.  I have done many test such as blood, MRI(although might be outdated seeing as how it was more than 4 years ago), neck x-rays allergies, and even an anti-inflammatory shot to the back of the head! All the tests were normal and the shot didnt help much.  I have recently noticed a dent in the back of my head where I get the headaches. It seems to be getting deeper! That worries me as well.  Some of the symptoms that usually come along with the headaches are blurry vision, dis-orientation(not everytime), dizziness(not everytime), and sometimes the pain is so bad that it effects my communication and concentration because it hurts so bad. I have also been woken up from sleep many times due to the sharp, quikness of the pain ( that's when I could really feel it in my eyes, the pain went straight through to them). I am really worried because nobody has been able to give me answers and I haven't found much online about this. If you have any answers please post something to inform us all of what this strange headache might be caused by. Thanks!

hey man...i m 20 years old....i have the same problem.

i also went to scan my head....but doctors found nothing...they said...you are ok. but whenever i have headache i jst cant bear it....sometimes i jst cried.... :(

maulik wrote:

ttkoshi wrote:

Don't feel bad, I suffer from headaches too and doctors can't find anything. Doctors prescribed me muscle relaxers and physical therapy but nothing seems to works. i just pray to God.

Have any of your doctors thought about preventive medication? I have gotten migraines since i was 12 and have seen a neurologist. I am now on topamax a preventive medication that works really well. If I don't take it I get a headache almost everyday. I also had tried diet change, taking medicine just to cure pain but was taking way to many pain pills. There are preventive medications out there... May not find the exact answer but will stop the pain.

my name is deedee im having the same problem with out any answers but keep goin to da doctors dey wud get tired of u and find da promblem. have dem to check u for MS.

Aloha,
Like most of you, I've suffered with these headaches for most of my adult life. It feels like it starts in my left ear and then up to the temple. If I don't find something to stop it, it will go over to the right temple, then down to the right ear. By now I'm ready to die, but instead I vomit and the pain goes away. This scenario can happen at any time, any where. Beginning a new job, vacationing in Europe, you name it.
Doctors think you are lying so you can get pain medication. They don't see anything wrong in my ears. You can't prove a migraine.
Finally, In the Maui emergency room, I had a Dr. who was just filling in see me. He said he has seen this before. The muscles in my shoulders tighten up so badly that they press against the nerves in my neck. That is why I have the pain in my ear. Its the nerves that are connected to my neck. Diagnoses, no solution.
I've tried everything to loosen up the muscles. Warm packs, showers, even hot rocks like they use in spa's. I became addicted to pain medication about 10 yrs ago. A friend showed me how to talk my way into the methadone clinic ( that is a story in itself). I take it everyday like any other medication and I have been pain free for years. Recently I tried to reduce the amount of methadone I take. The headaches came back faster than its taking to type this reply. Are there consequences to methadone? You betcha. Is it worth having your life back? You betcha.
I read in one of the post's...if this can help even one person.
Hawaii

Hey guys,

I'm 34 and haven't had many headaches in my life until recently. I've been getting this shooting pain near the bottom of my head. I can barley stand up and it doesn't seem to be getting better. I don't have health insurance so I was wondering if anyone knew of any natural medications or herbal? from what I've read, most aren't having much luck with doctors. Kinda desperate at this point. I've taken every over the counter med I could find. No luck