I've been on Fentanyl patches for about a year and a half now with Vicodin, Morphine, Dilaudid etc. for breakthrough pain. Prior to the patches, I had been using Vic's daily for about 3 years. Until about a month ago, I was really good about not abusing my scripts, not running out, etc., but then I started smoking my duragesic gel and snorting my dilaudid. I realized very quickly that this is a slippery slope and that I didn't want to go down that road any further. I need to be done with all this c**p and take my life back.
I ran out of patches on Wednesday and tried to stave off the W/D's with Vic's and a couple Morphine tabs but it just wasn't doing the trick. They'd give me momentary relief but then I'd slip right back into it. I knew the script for my patches wasn't gonna be refilled until like thursday or friday of this week and that I DEFINITELY didn't have enough pills to get me through, so the last pills I took were at like 4am Saturday after tossing and turning all night and sleeping only 10 to 15 minutes at a time. That's when I decided to just quit all together. I stopped taking all the pills and just decided to ride this f'ing storm out. I asked my wife to just flush the rest of my pills so I couldn't even be tempted. She ended up taking me to the ER that day to see if there was anything that they could do for me. I didn't know where else to go as I've never been through this before. I felt HORRIBLE! They gave me some anti-diarrheal meds, some anti-nausea meds, and some Clonadine to help me sleep and sent me home with a a script for each, but of course the Pharmacy was closed by the time we got out of the ER so I had to rough it one more night. I've only been using the Clonadine along with some TylenolPM right before bed since Sunday night so I can get some sleep, but the Clonadine makes me really dizzy and lightheaded and I really hate taking it.
I wish I wouldn't have even taken the Vicodin and morphine through Saturday because I think it just dragged out the withdrawls. The last four days have been the worst four days of my life! I had no idea that this c**p had such a hold on me. Sunday I felt just tiny glimpses of feeling better. Yesterday was just a tiny bit better than Sunday and today I feel a little better yet again. My problem is that I am so weak. I feel as if gravity has doubled in the past four days. I have no energy. I keep trying to "Shake it off" and get something done around the house, but I'm just wiped out after like 10 minutes.
I am so fortunate to have such a loving family. I have a wife and three amazing boys (11, 7, and 18mo). My oldest boy had to take care of our little one for me the first two days which I feel horrible about. I could tell that he was really worried. I just told him that I was sick and that I needed his help for a couple days. He was a tremendous help! I'm a stay-at-home dad and my wife works 12 hour shifts. Both her family and mine are very supportive as well.
What I need to know is how long before I have my energy back and how long before I can get a good nights sleep?! Is it really going to take a month or MORE? Does anyone have any experience with herbal supplements, vitamins, etc. that might be able to help expedite recovery time? Any help will be greatly appreciated.