Hello, guys. I am a diabetic and I have recently developed diabetic neuropathy. I feel pain and tingling in my lower legs and toes. My doctor suggested me to start taking Lyrica. I would like to know if anyone got relief from this drug. I would really appreciate your help with this. Bye!

Hi, there. Lyrica (pregabalin) is an antiepileptic drug. It is used to control seizures, but it is also used to treat peripheral neuropathy. There are some studies that show that Lyrica is especially efficient if it is combined with vitamins. Since you have diabetes, you should have a dose adjustment. I think your doctor should fill you in with more details. Return to him and ask him about the details. I hope this will help. Please, let me know the results. Good luck!

Here are some responces for you about the drugs I have been on for neuropathy 53 m diabetic neuropathy for about 5 years 3 chronic

Here is a list of meds that I can remember having been prescribed by numerous pain mgmt. doctors. Lyrica, Nurotin, Gabpreton, anti seizures and anti convulsants, nitorglycerin patches, lidocaine patches, lora tab, oxycoti, dilaudid, numerous creams and ointments, acupuncture, spinal blocks, spinal cord stimulator, nerve decompression surgery, b 12 injections, vitamins such as benfotiamine, alpha lopiac, xanax for a couple of hours of sleep. All of this and none of them worked, still in severe pain 24/7. Numerous ER visits to recieve dilaudid shots, after about 25 visits, my GP prescribed self injections 2mg 1 cc every 4 hrs and now recently increased the dosage 4mg 1cc every 4 hrs. Still do not get full relief. One Dr. has suggested Prialt (snail venom) in a pump but I have been told the side effects are horrendous. Are there any other suggestions out there from anyone with Dibetic Neuropathy?????

I take Lyrica for my Peripheral neuropathy from Brain Injury it has worked until my body created a tolerance over the years. The other problem my body crated is I cannot take the generic formula I have to take Lyrica otherwise it will not work at ALL.

Now not ever body is like this however, my brain does what it wants because of the Injuries it has sustained. I am at such a high dose at this point I cannot go up much more.

Now for you, the doctor is going to have to find the level that you will need to help you it could take up to 6 to 9 months just give it time make sure you work with your Doctor.

Now are you working with a Neurologist, or Internal Medicine Dr?

I know when I had my problems my insurance company told me I had to start seeing a Internal Medicine Doctor due to my medical conditions.

When my Father took on Diabetes his health insurance also told him he should begin to see an Internal Medicine Doctor. Yet he did not listen because he likes his family practitioner. The difference between the two Dr. are as followed.

A Family Dr/ General practitioner is trained to provide primary care for patients of all ages, including pediatrics, adolescents, adults and geriatric patients. Internal medicine doctors provide care on adults and geriatric patients.

I hope this helped,

DisabledWolf  Howling at you!