Hi, folks. My friend has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. I know that this disease is not an easy one. One of his constant problems is chronic numbness. I would like to know what the usual treatment for this problem is. I would appreciate all your advices. Thank you in advance.

Hi, there. I have a friend with MS. Numbness and tingling were for a long time her only symptoms. They belong to sensory symptoms. They are most common for people with MS. In fact, I think that 90% of people with MS have some of these symptoms. Besides these two, there are also burning sensations, severe itchiness and pin sensations. There are certain drugs that help with this. You can consult a doctor about this. I hope everything will be all right. Bye!

Hello. Numbness is indeed a common symptom for people with MS. It is mostly present in hands and/or feet. If it is a part of relapse, a doctor may prescribe corticosteroid. It is usually Solu-Medrol. This medication can shorten the lasting of relapse and its severity. It can also handle numbness and tingling problem. I hope this will help. Please, let me know if you need more info. Good luck!

Hello, everyone. I would agree with the previous posts. However, I would add something. Numbness can also be treated with other medications. Some of them belong to tricyclic antidepressants. Those would be Amitriptylin and Imipramine. They help in relieving the sensory symptoms associated with MS. They also help with bladder difficulties and bowel spasms. Anticonvulsants are also used for reducing numbness. Those are: Carbamazepine, Lamotrigine, Acetazolamide, etc. I hope this was helpful.