I will have my ACDF surgery soon on C7. I had long talk with my surgeon and he told me all about the procedure, but I think he wasn’t quite honest about possible complications what may occur during or after ACDF surgery. Anyway, if someone can give me that information I would highly appreciate.

One of my friends had ACDF surgery but not for C7, I believe it was C5. He had complications because fusion didn’t occur. It normally takes approximately 3 to 6 months for the fusion to occur, but even after 10 it didn’t. They said that is higher incidence of non-fusion in patients who smoke. Other potential complications of ACDF surgery are : infection, bleeding, complications from anesthesia, hardware may break or come loose, nerve damage, weakness, numbness, even death.

I had the surgery on C5 and C6 in January of this year. no complications from surgery, but I think results vary widely and you cannot rely on what doctor says. 10 months later I am still suffering from similar headaches and numbness that I had prior to the surgery. I even retired from my job as it required much time sitting at a deask and being on the computer and that seems to be the most aggrevating activity for me. The doctor released me after 6 months, but after one year, assuming I don't feel any better, I will go back for further explanation. I have come across people that siad it took them 1 1/2 to 2 yeats to feel better so remain hopeful... GOOD LUCK