I've posted about this before, but I'm still freaked out...I'm 22 years old and for the past month and a half, I think I've been losing my mind. It all started when I made a stupid drunken mistake and hooked up with a guy--this was October 7th. I was drunk to the point that I didn't remember parts of the night. I do remember oral sex and dry humping, but I don't remember a period of time before and after that. He said we didn't have sex, and since I was a virgin beforehand, I figured there would have been some indication if we had--pain, soreness, bleeding, etc. and I don't know why I'd remember oral sex and dry humping but not intercourse. But since I don't remember, I guess there's no way I can be 100% sure. A few days later, out of the blue, the idea popped into my head that I might be pregnant. I'm not on any type of birth control. My cycles are usually 4 1/2-5 1/2 weeks long, lately they've been about 5 weeks, so looking at the calendar, I expected my period around October 23rd-26th, and though I don't track my ovulation, it would have logically occurred two weeks-ish beforehand, so right around the time of the incident--feeding into my worry as well.

I was incredibly stressed out as I waited for my period, I barely ate, wasn't sleeping well. My 2nd big mistake came in going online and searching for information on "the chances I could be pregnant". I found myself bombarded with all of these anecdotes about: women who got pregnant without sex--just dry humping; women who "had a period" (I know it's not a period, but bleeding exactly/almost exactly like a normal period) for the first 2, 3, 4 months...or even the entirety of their pregnancy; women who showed up negative on tests until the 4th month, etc. which certainly increased my paranoia, despite the fact that I know that these are rare circumstances.

As I got close to my period, my breasts got sore, which is a normal PMS symptom for me. On the 22nd, there was very light spotting, and I typically have spotting the day before my period really starts, though it was lighter this time. On the 23rd, my period started, though it was not nearly as heavy as usual and I had absolutely no cramping which is very unusual because I virtually always have cramps the first day or two, sometimes even accompanied by chills. The first 2 1/2 days, there were more small little clots than usual (though I was using pads instead of tampons, so maybe that had something to do with it) and I noticed large, long stringy jelly-like clots which were unusual--the blood and clots were red, not brown or pink. The flow was irregular, starting and stopping (which I know can happen, but does not happen to me), and after about the 3rd day, the flow became quite light, requiring only 1 pad per day. The first few nights of my period, I typically experience a heavy flow, so I wear 2 pads to bed--this time there was virtually nothing. The flow became very light and eventually stopped on the 27th-my periods are 5-7 days long, usually 6 or 7. A few days in, I developed an intermittent lower back ache, which I don't remember ever experiencing during a period.

After my "period" ended, I developed new symptoms. My back ache continued to come and go, I was having stomachaches, occasional pain in my pelvic area, constipation (which has since resolved), more gas than usual. My throat seems to tighten from time to time, almost like having a lump in my throat, though it seems like it's when I'm really stressing about my symptoms. My breasts had been sore during the beginning of my period, but afterwards my nipples became tender to the touch. Moreso in the right than the left, and it comes and goes. Sometimes it's my nipples themselves, other times it feels like it's deeper within the breast, or slightly above or below the nipple. I occasionally notice blue veins that sort of arc around or below my areolas, and small bumps around my nipples--it comes and goes as well--I'd never noticed these before, though I suppose I've been paying much more attention to my nipples than usual as well. My nipples/areolas don't seem darker than usual, but maybe my areolas are larger (it may just be my mind playing tricks on me). A few days ago I noticed blue veins that come and go around my right shoulder/collar bone, which is unusual, though I do know I've noticed veins around my shoulders/collar bones on a few occasions in the past. I also noticed blue veins running down the inside of my arms from my wrists to the elbows, as well as more pronounced blue veins on my hands/fingers, which also come and go. I have fair skin, so I usually can see some veins on my hands and wrists, but never as clearly or to the extent as I can now.

I've taken a few pregnancy tests--First Response Early Result and Clear Blue Digital, which appear to be the most sensitive--most recently 2 days ago, and they were negative. I also stopped by a women's health/abortion clinic last Friday and had a blood test-negative.

I know that stress can really mess with your body, and I've experienced menstrual irregularities due to stress before--late or entirely skipped, but never a period like this. I know anxiety can explain a lot of my symptoms, but the nipple pain worries me, since I don't know if that could be stress related. All of this has been made more difficult by the fact that I've been hesitating to seek out a gynecologist because I'm on my mother's insurance and my family are incredibly conservative, traditional Roman Catholics who would probably drop dead at the thought of me engaged in sexual activity; I couldn't even imagine explaining the situation to her.

I moved over the summer for a job after graduating, so I haven't had any established health care here yet. I've finally scheduled an appointment for a physical with a pcp for early December, so I can bring it up then if I can't get it out of my head, I'm assuming I'll either have a pelvic exam or be referred to a gynecologist at the appointment. However, that's 3 weeks away. My next period is due around the weekend of Thanksgiving, so I don't know how I'll be able to conceal my anxiety when I go home.

Ordinarily, I'm a rather reasonable person. I know that the chances of me being pregnant are something to the effect of .00001%. At the same time, I can't get the stupid notion out of my head that I could *still* be pregnant even if I do appear to get my period, because some women have had that type of bleeding during pregnancy, or that they've tested negative months into the pregnancy. Despite what the tests and the few close friends I've talked to about this say, I have this crazy, irrational, unfounded fear that I'm pregnant and that I'll finally be diagnosed too late to have an abortion.

Please, if you're going to make inflammatory remarks about being drunk/irresponsible, I already know that. I know all about safe sex and the importance of it, I work in public health (which makes me feel like a hypocrite). This was the 1st time I've ever found myself in a situation like this, and it's essentially scared me shi-less, I most certainly will never get myself into this situation again. I don't know what I need to feel normal again--therapy, a diagnosis of a hormonal imbalance/ovarian cyst that explains this, having the doctor examine/test me and tell me I'm not pregnant. I know it's probably just paranoia, stress, and feeling guilty about the situation that's messing with my head and in turn messing with my body, but the paranoia is unrelenting. I've never felt the way I feel right now--both physically and mentally. I just feel like I don't have control over my mind or body, and I'm scared.

listen, I would honestly love to help you/give you reassurance. But could you please narrow things down to maybe 10 sentences maximum? That would be lovely. 

So I think its time for you to relax and take a deep breath. The chances of you being pregnant are pretty much impossible. Its a lot harder to get pregnant than most people think and those that say no its not are just making excuses for themselves or others. If you have sex with zero protection your chances of getting pregnant are 85%. If you have intercourse and use withdrawal correctly your chances of becoming pregnant are 15%, Your chances of becoming pregnant by having outtercourse which includes dry humping are 0%. Those stats are on the leaflets that come in the condom packages and the planned parent hood website. Secondly our body's change slightly all the time. Missing a period skipping a period is very common, if that does happen your chances of passing clots and even pieces of tissue are greater. Even if your not sexually active you still need to see a gynecologist regardless to have pap smears and a breast exam done. Even teenagers and young adults can have fibrous breast lumps that are not cancerous, abnormal pap smears and ovarian cysts and fibroids. If your worried about your parents finding out that you went to or want to go to a real gynecologist make up an excuse, such as "i think i may have and ovarian cyst or fibroid, my pelvis hurts" or "i feel something in my breast that not right". you said that you are worried that you will be pregnant and it will be too late to do anything about it. Many people don't know that as sick as it may seem, you can abort a baby up to 19 weeks pregnant. Yes that's almost 5 months pregnant. The procedure is more involved and you have to search for a clinic that offers them, but they are out there and it is a women's right to decide. After 20 weeks a baby is considered viable outside the womb and they will only perform abortions if it is medically necessary. For whatever its worth to save your self the anxiety after you have sex or "are worried that sex may have taken place" you have 5 days to go to walmart, Planned parenthood, or any pharmacy to get a plan B pill for about $25-50$. I know this doesn't help you now but it may help someone else. There is no physical way that you could be pregnant especially if you had a negative blood test at a clinic. However it is possible that you may have contracted an STD through oral sex and I hope that you follow up with that. 1 in 4 people have herpes or genital warts, its very common and you can go months with out having signs or symptoms. I work in health care and I see more STDs than I want to in the least suspecting individuals. Also your 22 you can still get the HPV vaccine if you haven't already this vaccine can protect you from several strains of HPV the virus that caused genital warts and cervical cancer. I hope I addressed most of your concerns and wouldn't worry about being pregnant anymore.

Thanks. I know I'm being crazy, but it's hard to get over it. I'm hoping for a totally normal period this month, that might help. And I'll also definitely talk to the doctor about it when I go in for my physical in a couple of weeks--my mom's diabetic and has had a number of other hormonal issues over the years, which I know predisposes me to hormonal imbalances as well, so I'll talk to her about getting some blood tests done to see if anything is out of whack. It's probably the timing of this that's messing with my head the most--if I started having breast pain before this incident, it wouldn't bother me nearly as much because I wouldn't have the "what if" in my head. I know about fibrocystic breast changes and ovarian cysts, etc. and I know that there's probably another explanation for what's going on with my body. But fear is a powerful thing I guess, and at this point in my life pregnancy is much scarier than a cyst, so my mind has latched onto that, despite the fact that I know it's unlikely.

As for STDs, I have a friend who's gone through a similar experience recently and we've talked about it. We're planning on going to a clinic to get tested together for moral support. It's just a very nerve-wracking, scary feeling to be in this situation, feeling so unsure.

I just went to the bathroom and there was a pea sized spot of rusty colored discharge in my panties. There was nothing when I wiped. It's still about a week early for my next period...now I'm freaking out again.

How are you doing now?

Hi I have the same exact worry as you!!! What ever happened?