What is the treatment for myelomalacias. how serious is it and can it be cured????? ?

Melomalacia is known as softening of the spinal cord which has been injured and there has been loss of tissue and could be the result of insufficient blood supply. This condition of insufficient blood supply may be caused by an obstruction of the spinal cord vessels (thrombosis, embolism) or spinal cord compression. Whatever injures the spinal cord could cause myelomalacia. Myelomalacia may be focal or diffuse; the diffuse form is typically associated with cranial migration of neurological signs and is often fatal. Softening of the spinal cord presents an unavoidable indication for surgery. You ask the experts about the possible treatments for this condition, but as far as I know, it can be fixed by surgery only.

Sorry to tell you but to my knowledge and experience there is no known cure yet for focal or diffuse Myelomalacia. Last year I requested my medical records. My MRI Scan in 1997 showed I had severe multi-level cervical spinal cord compression, 3 large osteophytic growths, herniation of discs, signal change,narrowing of the canal,nerve root compression, osteoporosis, etc etc etc. Even though I was paralysed and wheelchairbound the hospital said there was nothing medically wrong with me whatsoever. I recently underwent multi-level cervical decompression surgery. I was then diagnosed with a more focal myelomalacia at the point of compression. Lost neurological functions are permanent with diffuse or focal myelomalacia resulting from a cervical myelopathy.

Hello there; I was told that I had myelomalacia in 2006 because of a slipped disc, I have doing alternative treatment to my self.
May I know what have you done to treat this myelomalacia. I am still searching for the best options,

I've been through 9 neck and back surgeries in the past 15 or so years. A bone spur pierced my spinal cord in 2004 and the feeling in my right side turned itself off.
My understanding is that spinal cord damage/myelomalacia is permanent. The only theoretic 'fix' is thought to be stem cells. That fix is in the future, not a right now cure.

We need to get the politicians off their butts and get stem cell therapies going for spinal cord injuries and cancers, as well as other diseases. The pharmaceutical lobbies need to be defeated.

lier; their is no fix for melomalacia...get it right

So is there any cure for myleomalacia by stem cell therapy

My husband had surgery today for this ACDF with myelomalacia in three vertabre. They replaced, rebuilt and injected stem cells. Dr. said he has a ling road but very optimistic.

Myelomalacia is permanent damage to the spinal cord - my diagnosis has recently been upgraded to severe focal C5 myelomalacia I now rely on a NIV, Nebuliser and Cough assist machines because of respiratory weakness causing pneumonias (Klebsiella-deadly)- lung infections (E-coli) shortness of breath - severe spasticity - the list of symptoms is endless

I have myelomalacia of the cervical spine caused by severe cervical compression. I had both posterior & anterior multi-level decompression surgeries in 2015. Left me with neuropathy, severe weakness in legs, no hot, cold, or pain sensation (externally & internally) on right side from armpit to toes, twitching in arms & hands, gait probs (I walk with elbow crutches, severe nerve burning in right leg, & cannot use arms for any sustained time with pain & them "falling asleep".
All my neurosurgeon & other drs have done is tell me I have this & that it will never get better only worse. They do not monitor it or anything :( I am scared to death & cannot find help.

SO SORRY to here this my son is Down Syndrome and had a bad fall last year . I was just reading his Dr. Reports and his says he has Myelomalacia sever at the C4 C5 level. We are here in Nashville Tn. Seeing Drs.at Vanderbilit his Neorgrlist just released him that is not good. Now what. Oh me after reading everyone else's problems this scares me to death. What in the world can we do. His walking is not good on a walker not stable. Just what do we do? Thanks for anyone out put.

I've been living with back pain for 30 years and only had spasms once in a while then couldn't walk a quater of mall without sitting down . Then suddenly this last January my leg started dragging then it then dead on me . I had a MRI and they wanted to do surgery but luckily I didn't have it there since the surgurgn wasn't qualified and then referred me elsewhere. Now I went from a cane to a walker and leaning toward surgery. This isn't something to ignore and can mess u up.

Is there any treatment for myelomalacia in stem cell therapy

Following stem cell treatment for myelomalacia. Recently told about dr. In panama from Florida doing this but would like to hear about actual results.