Hello, guys. My friend has a car accident and doctors suspect on possible spinal cord injuries. They must run some tests to be sure whether this is an exact diagnose. I would like to ask you how to diagnose these kind of injuries? What is the procedure? I would appreciate your help.

Hello, there. Diagnosis is usually put after gathering the information about clinical symptoms and signs and additional diagnostic methods. The main symptoms would be extreme pressure in the neck or in the back, tingling or lack of sensation in extremities (toes, feet, hand, fingers), complete or partial loss of control over any part of the body, difficult breathing after injury occurred, urine or bowel problems-incontinence, retention or urgency, balance or walking problems, etc. After that, an additional methods are run. Many doctors start with X-ray, but nowadays there are those that send a patient to CT scan (computerized tomography) initially. If there is an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), then it can also be done. CT is more helpful for visualizing bone elements and whether there are fractures or not. MRI shows spinal cord itself. Some basic blood tests can also be checked, but they are not specific for this condition. I hope your friend will feel better. Bye!