Hey guys. So today I saw my neighbor. She is 52 years old and she has really bad condition after her husband died. She is struggling with a lot of different diseases.
Well today when I saw her she had this ugly red rash, something like allergy all over her body. I asked her if she is OK, what this can be and she told me that she is having reaction or allergy to angiogram dye.
I never heard anything about this, so I was wondering did you?
If you did is there any chance to tell me more about it?
Me, me, me!!!
I was not aware of it but when I read the hospital report I had to get to sign up with the VA later, it said I was allergic to the cath dye. Apparently I got hives from it but I never felt it nor did I see them.
The cath was done early on a Thursday morning then they held me in ICU until mid afternoon when I was transported to the hospital where the operation was to be performed on Friday. I was sent for an ultrasound soon after arrival and later the girl came in to give me a full body shave. No one mentioned seeing them and I didn't see or feel them so they must not have lasted long.
Really? I really was thinking that there are no people who had this allergy at all. I am a little bit uninformed when it comes to this, so I was really surprised when I found out this.
Can you tell me what the feeling was when you had this allergy?
Did they gave you any pills to stop this allergy?
I don’t even can’t imagine what the feeling like when you are having this is.
When this allergy goes away? Soon or..?
Anyway, I now really want to know what are the chances for someone to get this allergy at all.
Thank you so much for this information.
I am happy because I have learned something new.
Good day you two.
Yes, it is possible. I don’t know how to treat it and how does this happen but sure that there is a chance for everyone to get some reaction or allergy to angiogram dye. Very important part of understanding contrast allergies is that it is not actually possible to be allergic to iodine. The iodine itself can cause a histamine release but it can cause allergic reaction. Allergic reactions to contrast dye typical involve inflammation such as anaphylaxis.
So definitely it can but I would like to know as well how this allergy manifests in the patients.
It happens that someone has an allergic reaction to angiogram dye, but it is very, very rare. I never had to have angiogram done so I don't really have any experience with this, but I have a friend who is a doctor and he said that this happens rarely.
If somebody knows that they are allergic to iodine or x-ray dye, they should tell this to their doctors. The contrast dye typically used during the angiogram procedure contains iodine. Some patients have a minor reaction to the x-ray dye, such as a skin rash or itching. The chance of a life-threatening reaction to the dye is very small.
Alan, you said that the chance of a life-threatening reaction to the dye is very small, which means that there are still some chances for it to become a life threatening reaction. Even if there is a slightest chance for it, it's an alarm to be very cautious when it comes to angiogram.
I also know that the angiogram procedure is not smart for those who have weakened kidney function, due to diabetes or high blood pressure, they may face a greater risk of further deterioration in kidney function. If it occurs, the deterioration is often temporary, but sometimes it may be permanent.
I've actually had angiogram done and I didn't have any side effects nor any negative reactions to angiogram dye.
I heard about these allergy reactions to angiogram dye before I was supposed to have angiogram done so I asked my doctor about it. He said that this happens rarely, just like you guys said, and that I have nothing to worry about. Even if it happens, it can't be serious, and it definitely can't cause some life threatening condition. I see that you guys mentioned that it could cause some sort of a life threatening condition, but I'm just saying what my doctor has told me.
Guest, there is a small, very small chance for life-threatening reaction to the X-ray dye, I'm guessing that your doctor didn't want to tell you this since these chances are very small and he didn't want to make you worry about it.
As a procedure that uses x-ray technology, angiograms do expose patients to ionizing radiation. Safety guidelines and equipment in place in the catheterization lab are designed to limit this exposure, but this is why it is very important for you to tell your doctor that you are allergic to iodine, if you already know that you are, you are going to save yourself from some additional complications.
Umm ..so I'm surprised at all the answers here lol.... YES YOU CAN BE ALLERGIC....lord have mercy.. I've been doing cat scan for over 25 years! Its REALLY COMMON OMG.. happens every week that someone needs to be premedicated prior... so allergic reactions of all kinds of levels for example one crazy reaction is joint pain immediately after injection.. even if you have had the dye in the past and were ok you can still have an allergic reaction to it later on in life when exposed to it again. I have taught catscan at IUPUI and done tons of research... yes your body produces iodine so some say you cant have a reaction it it..tell that to my patients I have to call a code on or the ones that immediately start sneezing and cant stop or they have hives ...you normally a mild reaction your given benadryl and we go from there then goes up to steroids .. the normal feeling with the onset of the injection is as follows.,flushed hot sensation,kinda catches your breath in your chest ,you feel your face and neck flush as it travels down your body then all of a sudden for women it makes them feel like they are peeing and men it makes their anus get on fire..last for about 30 seconds to 2 min.. anything more than that.. sudden coughing. Sudden sneezing. Hives throat face and chest are the most common places.. clearing throat the patient feel the urge to swallow and it starts getting harder to swallow .. you can actually SWELL OUT OF YOUR CLOTHES. The tech should inform the pt. You can have a reaction for something crazy like a week after and I never knew that until I started teaching it..