I need to hear some general info about gastroscopy procedure. I have stomach problems for years now and they now have become more serious so I went to see a doc and he told me I have to control my upper digestive system and so I’m scheduled for gastroscopy procedure tomorrow morning. But the truth is I’m terrified of the way gatroscopy is performed so I’d like to hear some more gastroscopy procedure info. Thanks.

I remember myself when I was about to have gastroscopy, it’s hard to describe that feeling but I surely do understand how you must be feeling now. So I have to tell you stop worrying for the gastroscopy is not that terrible at all, I was so shocked when the procedure was done, couldn’t believe that it was it and nothing happened. The secret is that you’ll be given some sedative that will make you relaxed and so sleepy alike, and also some liquid anesthetic will be sprayed over your throat and I remember this was the most uncomfortable for me for it makes your mouth and teeth numbed, but this won’t last longer than an hour and then the gastrosopy procedure is performed. As you were probably told gastroscopy is actually exam of the upper digestive tract this is a test which purpose is to detect any kind of abnormalities that may affect your esophagus, duodenum or to detect possible peptic ulcer which was my case. So the test doesn’t last longer than 15 min, and you’ll see it’s not a big deal and is more effective than having x-ray test for x-ray test doesn’t provide a 100%precise results for it provides an image that is not colored so many abnormalities might be not detected. Anyway gastroscopy provides colored images by using a flexible tube that is inserted through your throat and down to examine abdominal organs and in case if some abnormalities are detected than the biopsy also might be performed, which of course doesn’t indicate no serious illness but the biopsy is usually performed in order to exam the possible chances of ulcer or inflammation. And don’t worry even the biopsy is painless. And of course don’t forget to be on diet since tonight for as you must have already been told you’re not allowed to eat anything at least six hours before gastroscopy.

I had that done about 4 years ago. But i remember quite clearly that the doctor took only 2 seconds (not like an hour as you mentioned). So I suspect he was only checking my esophagus, and not further down to the stomarch or duodenum. Now my stomach is having periodical pain again. Do you think they can have different levels of checking?

I had the Gastroscopy procedure done on Wednesday and it was not bad at all. They put you to sleep during the procedure by the time you wake up it's done. No pain at all, my results were very good. At the beginning of the procedure they spray a solution into your throat to numb the area it's a little fizzy and taste a little like strawberry, not a pleasant taste but really not to bad either, next thing you know your waking up in the recovery room.

It is a simple procedure, performed by the NHS sometimes thru' a private hospital (eg BUPA). A camera on a thin tube is passed down your oesophagus, stomach and into your duodenum - local anaesthetic first - to examine these areas for damage, most often thru' reflux action of stomach acids. Highly recommended for heartburn problems. Only takes 5-10 minutes, not particularly pleasant procedure, but effective. Just get on with it and do it!