I know that laser arthroscopic surgery is used to identify, monitor and diagnose joint injuries. Also I know it might be used to remove bone or cartilage or repair tendons or ligaments. Since I have son with problems like this, I became interested into those procedure. We think he should do something to help him live normally, so even we considered laser arthroscopic surgery. I want to know what to expect after because that is big step for us and we want to made right decision.

Laser arthroscopic surgery is a procedure to visualize, diagnose and treat joint problems, and probably might help to your son if the doctor suggested it. Name of this procedure is derived from the Greek words arthron, which means joint, and skopein, which means to look at. Diagnostic laser arthroscopic surgery is performed when medical history, physical exam, x-rays, and other tests such as MRIs or CTs don’t provide a definitive diagnosis. This procedure should not be performed unless conservative treatment does not fix his problem. Immediately after the procedure, he will spend several hours in the recovery room. An ice pack will be put on the joint that was operated on for up to 48 hours after laser arthroscopic surgery. Morning after surgery, the dressing can be removed and replaced by adhesive strips. He should call his doctor upon experiencing an increase in pain, swelling, redness, drainage or bleeding after the site of the surgery. Complications are rare occurring in less then 1% of patients. Here are included infection and inflammation, blood vessels clots, damage to blood vessels or nerve and instrument breakage.