My mum has vascular dementia. She is now in the later stages of the disease. How long do you think she has left?

Hello there,

First of all I am very sorry that your mother suffers from this condition and I really hope that you are managing to get through all this. Vascular dementia is, unfortunately, an irreversible medical condition which is the second most common form of dementia, after the Alzheimer disease.

Vascular dementia usually occurs as a result of a single and severe stroke, or after a series of small and silent strokes.

Unfortunately your mother will soon realize that it is difficult to carry out everyday tasks that she could, once easily perform. She will often forget how to dress herself or how to drive a car and she will find it hard to remember faces, and names. In the later stages there is not much what medicine can do.

I HAVE ALREADY COMPLETED YOUR 'REPLY' BOX

My grandfather recently passed away of vascular dementia, and he had been severely affected for the last 10-12 years or so. He also had a plethora of other conditions accompanying his vas dementia (gangrenous gallbladder, kidney disease, cancers, almost complete blindness, diabetes, etc) To be completely honest, his conditions were largely due to his poor diet and his refusal to take good care of his health his entire life...I remember about 10 years before he died all of his children (some who even work in the med field) were saying that he would not make it another 5 years, but he did, and even another 5 more. The reason he actually passed away was because he had forgotten how to swallow properly, and had a substantial amount of food in his lungs, and may have survived had he accepted a feeding tube. But he told us even before he had dementia that he absolutely never wanted one, and might as well just die. But the point of this story is that even if you are worried that the end is near for her, it may be 5+ years away, you never really know with a dementia patient...

Best of luck (:

My heart goes out to you, my father in law has got it, Its very upsetting.

how is your fatherinlaw doing? my mother in law has this disease it is a crazy disease

how long has he had it?

My wife has been confined to a Care Home for four years with Vascular Dementia, aggravated by a full stroke (from which she recovered) plus blood-clots, infarctions and (more recently) haemorrhage to her intra-parietal lobe. Though physically fit, how long is she likely to last?

we met with the Palliative staff at Vcmc, my dad's diagnosis is vascular dementia...and all i have read is whats going on with my father...we will take him home and spent as much time as we can have him for. 

6 minutes to 2 days

My mom in law is only 64, she has full blown moderate dementia. They think it's vascular but I think it's frontotemperal. she gropes herself all day, repeats the same question over and over, is very bossy but when it comes to memory most days she can't answer what she had for lunch at senior daycare or what they did. She recently learned to make up lies about her day to cover it up (although I ask the workers prior to talking to her). I don't argue with her I just let her tell me her version. It's tough but somebody has to do it!

My mum has had to stop her medication food and drink due to can't swallow, this has been 8 days now and the DN administered Syringe drive on Sunday, how and why do we have to watch my mother deteriate, how long will she have to go on like this

what is the average time of the stages vascular demention