Hello everyone. My name is Johnny and I am 57 years old. I am having problems with diabetes and I think that this is getting worse everyday. At least, my doctor is telling me that and he keeps telling me that I need to be careful because my diabetes can lead to certain bad things that can happen. Now, he told me that because I have diabetes I have bigger chances to have a stroke. I don't like this...at all. Does having diabetes increase your chance of having a stroke? And if this is true, I want to know why?

Hey Guest.

Here is what you need to know. There are a several things that you need to do if you have diabetes and your doctor suspects your arteries are hardened, he may suggest diet and lifestyle changes. Of course, he can recommend you this along with medicines. That is good to prevent the blockages that lead to stroke. Other ways to lower your chances of a stroke include:

• Don't smoke.
  • Control your blood sugar level.
  • Stay at a healthy weight.
  • Exercise regularly.
  • Get your cholesterol checked whenever you can.

Those are the tips that can help you. Good luck.

Hello. My name is Lincoln and I am 62 years old. I am afraid that this is positive. The bad thing is that statistic is not on our side. The main fact is that if you have diabetes, your chances of having a stroke are 1.5 times higher than in people who don't have diabetes. But you can lower your risk by taking care of your health. And risk are even higher if you are more than 55 years old, if you have high blood pressure, if you are overweight. I have all of those problems and maybe it is really ugly to tell, but I expect to have a stroke every day...

Good day everyone.

Unfortunately, that is true. If you have diabetes, you are at least twice as likely as someone who does not have diabetes to have heart disease, stroke, heart attack, etc. People who have diabetes also tend to develop heart disease or have strokes at an earlier age than other people. For example, it is well known that if you are middle-aged and have type 2 diabetes, some studies suggest that your chance of having a heart attack is as high as someone without diabetes who has already had one heart attack. That is why you need to be extremely careful about your health. 

I agree on that one Aurora. Also, women who have not gone through menopause usually have less risk of heart disease than men of the same age. This information was funny to me, but it is true. But also women of all ages with diabetes have an increased risk of heart disease because diabetes cancels out the protective effects of being a woman in her child-bearing years. You see that there no are rules when it comes to this disease. Diabetes is a risk factor itself and that is why you need to be careful all the time.