Hello everyone, I need some information about Lantus and making adjustment of basal lantus. My husband is getting up in the morning with high sugar levels. I'm not sure what to do. Should I increase his dosage or decrease his dosage. He seems to be hungry all the time and that is uncomfortable for him. He's trying not to eat to maintain proper sugar levels and that's just not working. We're not sure what to do at this time. Is anyone else having this problem and will you share with me what you did. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, as far as I know Lantus is a long-acting drug similar to insulin that is supposed to enhance sugar control in both diabetes type 1 and 2. I believe it should be administered one time a day and at the same time each day.

Long-acting basal Lantus doses are supposed to help to get to expected fasting blood sugar levels. Quite often this has to be individualized to reach the appropriate level. Now I believe there are two ways to go about doing this. You can increase the dose by 2 units every Third day and keep doing this until you get where you need to go. Or, you can increase by 1 unit each day until you get to a fasting blood sugar level of 100 mg/dL.

Lantus long-acting (basal) insulin is used to help patients reach target fasting blood glucose levels. It is suggested that to achieve individualized targeted fasting sugar levels, increase by 2 units every 3 days and repeat till get there. Or, increase 1 unit every 1 day and continue until fasting sugar levels are less than or equal to 100mg/dLachieved. You can also use other oral drugs or rapid-acting insulin with Lantus. I would suggest you increase by 2 units every 3 days until you get where you need to go. He still needs to eat though. Try adding some protein to a few carbs such that he can eat and not affect his sugar levels too much.