I'm having trouble with low blood sugar. I'm told that I need to eat something after a hypo but I'm not sure what to do. I seem to have this problem a lot. I think I'm supposed to have something quick to eat and possibly carry sugar tablets with me but I'm a little afraid to take sugar tablets and not sure how much I should take. What causes this and and what is the best way to take care of it. Does anyone else have this problem and if so what do you do about it. Would appreciate some help. Thanks.

You seem to have your terminology down pat as hypo means low blood sugar and is short for hypoglycemia. You may be experiencing certain symptoms such as sweating, dizziness and shaking. Not to worry because as soon as you get some sugar into your system it will go away.

There are several reasons for hypos to occur. If you are taking insulin or tablets, your dose may be set to high. Hypos can also happen when your body needs more energy than you have provided with through your diet. This can happen if for some reason you are eating less or perhaps you are exercising heavily. Have you been drinking alcohol? Remember, alcohol tends to bring you blood sugar levels down.

If you have a mild hypo, you can drink or eat something like fruit juice or milk if you like and if you have glucose tablets take those. You probably need to take in somewhere between 10 to 20 grams of sugar. This should raise your glucose levels rapidly. You'll need to learn how to adjust this for your particular situation. Try eating regular meals and the same time each day to maintain proper glucose levels. Depending on what you eat and how much, glucose levels begin dropping around one to two hours later. Once you eat something, levels should return to normal. If you have hypos a lot, it is a good idea to measure sugar levels at least 4 times a day. That is what is recommended. That way you can figure out how to adjust your insulin or tablets and when you need to eat something. Try eating small amounts of food more often to get better control of your sugar levels.