Hello everyone, I have a quick question about Lantus. Sometimes I forget if I've taken my Lantus. At that point, I don't know what to do. I suppose it would be one situation if had knew I had forgotten to take it, however I don't know what to do if that happens. Do I wait until the next day/evening to take it if I know I didn't take it. But in the case I don't know if I took it I can't imagine what to do. I know I shouldn't double dose because that would certainly cause hypos. Anyone have any suggestions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, the rule of thumb is that if you forget to take your insulin, test your sugar levels as soon as you can. Lantus is a long-acting insulin that is supposed to work for 24 hours. It should be taken at the same time each day. If you miss a dose, you should become hyper and that would indicate that you didn't take it. If you take another dose of Lantus later you may increase the risk of hypos. Talk to your doctor and develop a plan in advance so that you will know what to do if you miss a dose or are not sure you took it. At this point you don't have a plan so you need to contract your doctor to get some professional advice. Remember, if you double dose you risk a serious hypo. If you think you missed your dose and took a second dose without realizing it you increase the risk of hypers. You will know this by hyper symptoms like fatigue, blurred vision, flushed face, thirst and urinating a lot. You'll need to contact your doctor ASAP to get assistance with your hyper. So, for now set up a plan with your doctor so you'll know that to do in the future.