I am sad to have been diagnosed with crohn's disease recently, but I am glad that I know what is the matter with me now, as you can imagine! I'm worried about the side effects of the medications I have been given, I have to say. Are there others with crohn's disease here who can put my mind at ease, or otherwise of course?

I am not sure what medications you have been given because it varies a lot from patient to patient. If you have a mild to moderate case of crohn's disease, you must have been given some immunosuppressants. These do have side effects, but you don't really have any business worrying about them as the alternative is much worse.

Yes, I have been told by my doctor that the flares of crohn's disease can be kept under control by medication and I probably won't need surgery. You are right to say that the medication is necessary, but perhaps there is something I am able to do to counter the side effects of the medication, like herbal teas or things like that. Thanks for your reply in any case.