My mother is 67 years old and even though she does not have any major illnesses, she always takes aspirin as a prevention. I would like to know what is aspirin preventing in the first place? I know that it has acetylsalicylic acid in it and I wonder if it is similar to salicylic acid? Is acetylsalicylic acid produced from salicylic acid?

Acetylsalicylic acid, or aspirin is used for dealing with symptoms of many conditions and illnesses, it subdues pain and fever. And yes, it can be used as a prevention of some heart conditions, such as heart attack and stroke. Of course, if she has been taking the drug for a long time, it might be wise for her to see a doctor from time to time, if she is already afraid of some disease that might happen to her. Salicylic acid is used for dealing with some skin condition and its area of effects is totally different than that of the aspirin.