Please tell me what is better for acne treatment Benzoyl peroxide or Salicylic acid. I posted on some forum before and people gave me opposite stories which confused me even more. I don’t know what to use now. I would like some detail info about Benzoyl peroxide and Salicylic acid. By the way I should mention that I am pregnant 4 week.

I am using Benzoyl peroxide 5% and I am satisfied with it. It is a topical treatment for acne that has antibacterial effects and induces skin peeling and about 5% of each topical dose is absorbed systemically. benzoyl peroxide is commonly used, and there are no case reports about benzoyl peroxide and birth defects in the literature I find it safe to use. And Salicylic acid also is used to treat acne, warts and other dermatological problems. Oral salicylic acid or aspirin has not been associated with an increase in malformations if used during the first trimester, but use in late in pregnancy has been associated with bleeding, especially intracranial bleeding. The risks of aspirin late in pregnancy are probably not relevant for a topical exposure to salicylic acid.

theres a difference between the two, and they do different things. BP, benzoyl peroxide, mainly kills bacteria and helps with blemishes.

Salicylic acid breaks down dead skin cells on the surface of the skin.

Try them both, 1 at a time and see which works best for you. What I do, is I use a soap that uses salicylic acid and then like this, uhh.. you could say "lotion" that has BP. Or vice/versa.

in my experience, ben. peroxide is better for severe acne but the side effects are worse. salicylic acid is better for your pores and skin all together, but not as good at fighting acne.

Both treatment have different side effects to people with different skin types...You should decide which one irritates your skin less. Therefore perform your own trial at home with a relatively low concentration of each (maybe 1% or 1.5%). Be careful not to use both treatment types at the same time because this can be detrimental to your skin. So put BP on for a few week then slowly alternate to SA and see which one you and your skin enjoy.

I am 29 now with clear skin, but as a teen and into my twenties I had off and on acne that was always bad when it was on. I started off using salicylic acid and it made my skin worse. My skin was dry and the acne escalated. I know it works different for everyone, but i would not recommend it. My acne was cystic, so i would get LARGE pimples that were isolated (versus clusters of tiny pimples). If I looked at them close I could actually see many "heads" on one large pimple, gross, i know. Then i tried benzoyl and it worked much much better. I would still get some breakouts, but for the most part, it definitely contained the acne. "Acne free" 3 step process is available at CVS for $20 and works great. Same ingredients as proactive and also is time release. My skin got much better and now it barely breaks out. I now use a more mild product (Aveeno daily luminous wash) and it is gentle and nice. I do have tips also: as soon as i start feeling a pimple growing under the skin, I take 3 ibuprofen because its an anti inflammatory. It helps and then I make sure I cleanse very softly and thoroughly. Never scrub too hard, use warm water, wash away all residue, dont touch the face unless you are cleansing, use mineral makeups, dont eat a lot of shellfish (the iodine would totally trigger my acne).

Congratulations! While you are pregnant you may experience different types of skin problems as your hormones will be changing during this awesome time. There is a lot of information that suggests you should avoid both products during pregnancy (especially during the critical first trimester when most of the development occurs) due to possible interactions with the fetus. My first suggestion is for you to talk with you OB/GYN or Midwife, they will know best. Otherwise try something that is proven to be non-toxic or less toxic but still has acne fighting properties. Check out the skindeep database on to locate products that are no risk "0" or low risk - you may be very disturbed at what you find. Many of the seemingly safe products are extremely toxic. You should also be aware that some no toxic ingredients are still not recommended for use while expecting- such as rosemary and lemongrass. Be comforted that your baby is safe within the womb, but always a good reason to use extra caution. Good luck!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

Burt's bees has an all natural tea tree oil blemish stick that might work for you.