Hey everyone.

My neighbor Jimmy died today. He was 48 years old and he had a heart attack. He was always sick but I can’t believe that he is gone. I went to visit his wife and his kids. She was crying and she was telling me that she is so sad because she was not at home that day and that she believes that she could help him and save his life. When I asked her how she told me that she could give him an aspirin.

I was confused because I didn’t understand this. She wanted to give him aspirin during heart attack or before?

Can you help me in this?

Can aspirin save a life during a heart attack?

Hi Aurora,

Yes.  Aspirin can help save a life during a heart attack.  It works by "thinning" the blood.  It's part of our standard protocols for a suspected heart attack to give the patient aspirin.

But, aspirin alone isn't enough.  Restoring the blood flow to the area of the heart is required. Often a "bypass" is required.  In some cases a stent is implanted.

She should not blame herself.  Not all heart attacks have severe symptoms.  He may have thought he had indigestion or some other minor issue.  Lots of people wait too long to call for help.

Hope it helps.

Hey there medic – dan. Thank you so much for your answer. I told her as well that she can’t blame herself because she was not able to determine the symptoms of the heart attack. It just happens. But what if in this case the person who is having the heart attacks can’t take an aspirin? Is there some other way to give it to him or her? I know that my neighbor called 911 very soon but I think that they came in her house after 10 minutes…maybe that was too late. Yes, I know that bypass is needed as well in this situation :/

Hello there everyone.

Aurora, medic – dan told you everything about it and he told you very nice what you can do and what can happen.

Of course you can’t count that the only thing that can help you when the heart attack occurs is an aspirin but definitely it can help you.

Aspirins shows the blood’s clotting action by reducing the clumping of platelets and platelets are the cells that clump together and help to form blood clots.

Well aspirin keeps platelets from clumping together and it helps to prevent or even reduce blood clots. So you should always have an aspirin in your house.

Sure it can and it is always a good idea to have a lot of aspirin in your house, just in case. Actually a doctors have been recommending an aspirin per day to help against heart attack for a couple of years (especially if you have any predispositions to have it).

But also aspirin during a suspected heart attack can increase chances of survival and of course, it can minimize damage to the heart.

Aspirin helps by inhibiting platelets, it makes them less likely to clot. If you give a person who is having a heart attack an aspirin within the first hour, it will increase the chances of survival and minimize possible heart damage.  

Hey everyone.

Sure you can but it is very important to take aspirin as soon as you find out that you are having problems with your heart. This is the best way of prevention and I think that doctors recommend taking it on daily basis. This is the only way to prevent heart attack and during the heart attack one aspirin can help you a lot as well.

Like all other members told you, it is very important to have it in your home all the time.

I do have it because you never know what can happen.

Bye