First time here: Got a question.

I promised a group I would run today. I've cancelled out so many time due to family (kids sick, help do dh's errands etc.). I feel like I should try to go this time but wouldn't you know it, I'm sick with a sinus cold.
Feeling torn between a obligations and my own body. Anyone run with a cold?

Ande

I've run with mild cold/sinus issues before. If you generally feel okay, then you may want to give it a try, but certainly don't go out looking for a personal best or anything. On the other hand, if the cold is one that makes your head pound and/or a little woozy, then it is be best to wait and fight another day.

First of all, welcome aboard!!

Second, I think several things need to be taken into account:

One: just how bad is the cold? Chills? Sweats? Fever? or just runny nose?

Two: What kind of run is it? Is it a long run with lots of hills and really fast runners that would make you run faster than you usually do?

Three: In how good of shape are you when you are healthy? Would the run be exhausting to you if you were perfectly healthy?

If you have fever, don't run. It not only weakens you further, it can be potentially damaging to the heart.

If it isn't a really long, taxing run I think you are fine--especially if you are in relatively good health regularly.

Above all: what does your body say? Do you feel like it or do you feel like curling up under a comforter and sleeping for hours and hours? (listen to your bod--it will tell you best!!)

:1:
Good points Aire.
Welcome to the forums!

I've called myself before, "the caveman runner". I run with colds. I run with headaches. I run thru most any ailment. Once even, being registered for a major marathon I got the flu the day before and put myself on the starting line only to bag it halfway with chills and exhaustion.

The only person that can guage your own tolerance is yourself. You've got to try a few times with minor things and then as different bugs get you down, consider trying and finding what you can do. Personally, I've been at this sport for nearly 25 years and have a good handle on what I can run through. And again, it's my opinion, but bodies can run through an awful lot.

Yep, just a head thing. No chills, no other symptoms. Just worried about dragging the others.

Geez jrjo, that's rough. Flu and the marathon? Okay, I'm going for a run. Feel like a wimp...

ande

My only concern with other runners running with colds is that they be beyond the contagious stage. If you have a fever, or otherwise capable of spreading your misery, I greatly people to not run in a group setting.

On the other hand if the cold is minor and you are not running a fever, it just depends on how your body feels and whether you can tolerate the run.

I ran, nose was running as well. :(

It did clear up the congestion. :D

Next time, I won't be so nervous about what others think. I did as much as my body would let me. I just needed a push to get out there and try it.

Thanks again.

Running with a mild cold is ok. However if you get a chest cold or fever, it is best to take a rest and not run...