I like to run and enjoy doing it. There are only few things that can keep me away from it. One of them happened recently. I have just lost a toenail by long distance running. I don’t know why it happened but my doctor told me that I should refrain from running for a while. What do you think?

Some people think that runners have to lose toenails and get blisters on every ultra run or marathon. I disagree with them. It doesn’t make sense. The real fast runners push the limits constantly, and probably lose toenails and get blisters because of racing shoe. But if you are a slow racer blisters and black toenails can be prevented. I haven't had a blister in 3 years and have never lost a toenail. I also ran the races that include hills and mountains as well as those that extend to 50 miles. If you get blisters or black toenails every time you run a race you definitely have to change something! Picking up a right running shoe is more important than you can imagine. You have to try different shoes and see which ones are the best for long distance races.

I've lost a few toenails after the year, generally after two day mountain marathons.
Whilst i agree that the fit of the shoe and the quality of the sock are important in good foot health and will prevent blister and black toe nails, sometimes when you are doing a long event the shape of the foot will change with the heat/ cold making this difficult.
I have found that nail just grows back over a period of several months. It has never been painful or a problem. I once consulted with a podiatrist friend who just said let nature take its course.
I can't understand why you Dr thinks you should take a break from running because of this?