SUnday morning I headed out of the house for an 8 mile run. I felt great, motivated, generally psyched. About a half mile into it, though, my right calf knotted up, then my hamstrong, and, finally, shin plints. After 3.5 miles of limping, walking, running and stretching, I turned around and came home. Iced my hamstring, did yoga, stretched my calves.

Monday nothing was planend so I just stretched. Yesterday I woke up at 5:30 to run but I knew I would have a terrible workout. Instead I went to the gym and ran on the tm. More shin splints. ENded up finishing my workout on the elliptical.

This morning I got up and went for a run despite feeling doomed. Horrible run. Limped home.

As it is I have missed 3 solid runs. Missing out on Sundays 8 miles really put a dent in my confidence and teainign schedule. THis SUnday I have 10 miles planned. Ther ei sno way I can just go out there and do 10 miles having skipped Sunday's 8 mile.

I have no idea what to do. Should I rest and just conentrate on getting things loosened up? Should I attempt to run through the pain? I was doing so well and was keeping up on all training runs but now I am behind and I don't know how to proceed.

Am I making any sense here? I am so frustrated. :(

You've got plenty of time.

Dial it back a notch...RICE..Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate.

Don't do 10 this weekend.

First, don't panic. It is quite normal for runners to hit something like this in the middle of their training. Probably more often than not, some minor injury crops up while building up for a race. Even if it happens a few times and you miss a few days each time, that doesn't have as big of an impact on your race as you might think. What will have an impact is if you try to force through it, it never heals, and your training suffers for several months until you are forced to take a few weeks off. It is best to take care of the problem right away. When you are back to normal, then you can resume training and you still have plenty of time.

Are your problems just down to shin splits now? Try walking around on your heals for 30 to 60 seconds at a time, several times a day. This, combined with being careful with shoes and running surfaces, will eliminate shin splits in almost every case.

I pushed myself last Friday's run. I think that did it. :(

My hammy is better, though it is a bit tender. So, yes, right now it is just my shins. I had forgotten how rotten shin splints can be.
I will try the walking on my heels bit today. I am going to buy a new pair of shoes this weekend, though I do believe the pair I have is still in fine condition. As for surfaces, I can avoid concrete, but not asphalt. Part of the reason I ran on the tm yesterday was to see if the "softer" surface made a difference. Not one bit.
Should I put my running on hold for now? How should I adjust my taining schedule? My big concern is my long runs.

Last year I had really painful shin splints 3 weeks before my marathon. The best thing I can recommend is rest, ice and stretching. I think I took an entire week off from running and I din't feel anything in my shins during the marathon. I swam and stretched during that week off. Don't run if you still feel the pain. Don't worry about your training. You have plenty of time.

I agree here. The stick is wonderful. And I seconfd the walking on your heals several times a day. Do this regularly, even after it feels better.

Thank you for your suggestions. I am goign to look into this stick and wheel thingy. Umm, could I borrow someone how-to video?

Seriously? My stick didn't come with 1 but there was a nice young man at the marathon expo who massaged my legs with it.

I just bought one of these. I hope it helps me! I posted something earlier this evening about my shin pain. To me it feels more like muscles on the outside of my shins, running the entire length of my lower legs.

Would lifting legs also help with shin problems?