And I don't mean running in the winter, I mean all year long. It's only about 60-something here in PA today, which is perfect for running, no sun, very overcast, so a little cooler even than Friday when the sun was out. We just got back from a short 3 mile run and I am sitting here in a sweatshirt with ice cold hands absolutely freezing. I mean goosebumps freezing--and this is the girl who doesn't turn her heat on til after Christmas and runs in shorts until it snows.....I am NOT bothered by the cold evah except when I run. I remember doing a race in July where I almost passed out from the heat and my running partner wondering why the hell I was standing there afterwards shaking with goosebumps when he was dying.

Anyone else get that, and what do you think it is from? I can't be dehydrated, we only ran 3 miles and I'm on my third bottle of water since we got back. Any ideas?

Have you showered yet? Damp clothing does the same thing to me. I need to get into dry duds.

That generally happens to me in the winter post run, where the clothes are now turning clammy and chilling me. I try to get out of wet clothes as quick as possible.
Summer it's happen just once or so, generally I am welcoming the sweat as cooling off.

with me, the cold shivers come from the damp clothes. i always take some kind of sweatshirt to a race--i forgot it last weekend and wrapped in a beach towel i had in the car....yeah, i get really cool but it's all those sweat-soaked clothes.

could it be a low blood sugar type shiver??

That's what I had thought...and I didn't have Gatorade til I went shopping so it's possible. Usually I drink some as soon as I can after a run but I'll have to pay close attention to whether that helps or not. It may just be the damp clothes too, but in summer?

I do at times, and I've found that eating protein helps. I thought maybe my iron was getting low. I have no proof that's the case, or that my nice steak helps, but I usually don't have the chills after the next run.

That's a good point too, and mine's always teetering on the borderline to begin with. When I'm actually really training I can almost never give blood because I flunk the finger stick. That little blood drop just sits there and won't sink. :? I do have pretty high protein needs, always have, so that's something else to be cognizant of. Thanks! :)

I do after a long run.
I asked a doc about it and he said that there is so much blood circulating to clear all the lactic acid, and other stuff from a sustained effort, that it is pulled away from the skin. Wierd

This happened to me last night after my run. I took a shower and was still freezing. My feet were ice cubes. 8O

All the time. Low salt. A little Gatorade and I'm OK.

Not often, unless it's raining in the 50's temperature range. Otherwise, I can't remember hardly ever being cold after a long run.

Happens to me all the time, every run. I'm also pretty borderline on the iron, and routinely fail the drop-of-blood test. I could run at lunch, shower, get back to my office, not turn on the AC, and have chilled skin for the rest of the afternoon.