I think I'm at a point where I'd like to go ahead and do a 20 mile run. The farthest run I've ever done so far was 18 miles and that was almost a year ago. It wiped me out but I was pretty new to running longer distances back then.

I just ran 16.4 on Saturday and I've been running 12 to 14 milers pretty regularly over the last few months. After I ran the 16 on Saturday, I did some extra stretching and refueled well and it really didn't feel like I was dragging the rest of the day and the soreness was pretty minimal.

Any words of advice or tips before I go out and hit the road for a 20 miles?

Maybe try an 18 miler first, then the following week do the 20. When I did marathon training my LR's were, 14, 16, 18, 16, 20.

Sounds like you are physically ready for it. Good luck :thumbsup:

I agree with Greg...if your at 16.4 now you're ready to go to 20. Maybe try a 18 miler first then cut back to 14 or so the next week then go for the 20.

Remember to fuel and hydrate!

---
megawill

I agree that an 18 miler would be safer. However, if you want to jump to the 20 miler, I would suggest that you take some gu or something to eat and to run at a slower than normal long run pace. You can always do another 20 miler at a faster pace; but, there is nothing worse than running out of energy with 4 or 5 miles yet to go.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I myself am working up to 20 miles, PH. I've been telling myself my long runs on the weekend will be no less than 12 miles one Sunday, 10 the next, and I've kept to it for about a month now. I'm ready to up the higher mileage this next Sunday and plan a 14-miler. It's good to know if you're ready it doesn't necessarily have to ruin your whole weekend.

I think you'll be great with 20. You've gotta be in some fantastic shape. Look how hard you work on your total body! And those abs!!

For those of you that have been on the edge of your seat waiting for my 20 mile run... The answer is yes, I can do it. It was actually 19.7 miles because I didn't premeasure the course but it was close enough. I was surprised how well I was able to maintain my pace. :thumbsup: