Please enlighten me with your thoughts on the days after a long run of 18+ miles. I just did a 20 mile run on Sunday and I'm still working through the soreness. Mon. Off Tues. 2 miles elliptical Wed. 3 slow running miles Thurs. 5 miles/10 minute mile pace What should I be doing after a long run like this when it comes to marathon training? BTW. That run was 20 miles: 3:02 I ran 7 miles in that last hour. Many thanks! :D

It was good that you took a day off afterwards, you definitely needed that.

Did you stretch at all?

that is an awesome run noley. :thumbsup: you are apparently in good standing for that marathon..excellent!!
heck, i'd take the week off. sorry, no good marathoning advice. just wishing you well.

Fast B@stard strikes again. Nice time!

Last year when I trained for my first marathon, my long runs were on Thursdays. Looking back at my log I took 1-2 days off in addition to another rest day and then raced on the weekends. I do remember recovery being difficult, and I was sore a lot. Looking at my mileage and how it played out, I'm amazed I finished that marathon.

This year training for marathons 2 & 3 I moved the long run to Tuesday night. The only planned day off was Friday or Saturday to accommodate the racing schedule. Postrace recovery runs were between 6-8 miles, and my long run recovery runs were between 5-10 miles. Worked great for me. I recover fast now, and am hardly ever sore.

If you did a 20M on Sunday, and then did 3 miles 3 days later and then 5 4 days later, you might not have the base you need to sustain the long run. I only know what works for me, so I'm probably way off with that. But I do know that when I was doing lower mileage with a 20+ miler it hurt, and when I started doing more mileage it didn't.

The biggest variable in long run recovery is going to be your base. It's those months of higher mileage weeks that will accustomize you to handling bigger weeks with those longer runs. That being said, you likely don't have the miles in the bank and the alternative is the long runs are going to be a bigger bite of stress on your legs. Like everyone else, what works for me is a different approach. I take the day before my long runs as my off day. Then I feel much more recovered from the weekly runs and hit the long run with fresher legs and a full tank of energy. For me, it allows me to not be so fully exhausted after the long run and I can do what is called "active recovery". What that is would be not taking the days following the long run off, but maybe put in a cross-training session the next day, but then it's headlong back into the daily runs. Or sometimes even a cross-training session the morning following the long run and some easy miles of running that afternoon. The theory being to 'work out' the lactic buildup and the delayed muscle soreness. It's almost a poor choice of words to call it 'recovery' because less isn't always more when it comes to bouncing back from the long run. Just my 2-cents, but I wouldn't concentrate on where to cut back for recovery, but what types of running or cross-training give you the best results for working out the soreness. Trail running, treadmill or maybe pool running are some variations to try and keep plugging through the sore days rather than cutting to zero or minimal mileage.

Excellent time Noly!
I usually swim or take the day off after a long run. The 2nd day after I usually run slowly for 5-6miles. By the 3rd day I'm good to go.

I tried to do my long run on Sat. I took Friday and Sunday off from running. Monday I usually ran 4 miles, a reccovery run. I stretched on Sunday. I usually felt pretty good by Tuesday.

It could just be up to the individual run. I've run between 11 and 13 mile runs for the last 3 weekends, and the first two just wiped me out for the rest of the day, I was more tired from those runs than the 20 milers I got in for the marathon.