Hello. I'm 30 year old female and almost whole my life I'm suffering from various bowel infections which was causing me a lot of problems such as diarrhea and abdominal cramps. So, a good friend of mine recommended me some oil called Oregano oil for these kinds of infections. I'm using it for over then three weeks now and I can tell that there is a big improvement. My problems with diarrhea and cramps are gone. But, recently I have heard that there are some interactions between this oil and birth control pills. This got me really worried because I'm using birth control pills over then six years now and I'm not planning to stop now. Please tell me-does anybody knows anything about this?

Hello. I have just read your post and recognize the same reactions I had when I heard that stuff. I was also on birth control pills when I heard it. I did a small research on my own and listen what I found out. There are only speculations that these herb-supplements can really interact with birth control pills and reduce their efficiency.
But, like I said, nothing of this is really medically proven.
Everything that I've read on the herb states that it does not interact with any known drugs.
My suggestion is that you should seek for some professional medical help.
Ask your general practitioner about this possible interactions and he will point you on some solution. I want to tell you that I have stopped using this oil because it was too risky for me. Good luck!

I have been on the birth control pill for 4 months and I am having symptoms of pregnancy...I just realized today that I had started taking oil of oregano...which is wonderful...but if I am pregnant I'm sure it's because of the oil of oregano...I will probably find out next week...I will keep you posted.

From what I have heard Oregano can induce menstruation, and is often contraindicated during pregnancy. Not as in dont eat spaghetti-- but dont take such a concentrated form of it. I suggest you dont take anything without good advice and some research. Natural is great, but in the wrong times it can be very dangerous.

Please--research what you are taking in - especially if you are on any kind of drugs. Buy your oils, herbs, and other concoxions at a health food store where they employ people who know what they are dealing with.

Oregano can ease painful periods- but it can also induce menstruation. I believe that in high concentration it is contraindicated for pregnancy--and because of these things I could see how it would effect your contraceptive pills. However, I dont believe you would get pregnant on the pill because of it, more likely the opposite. Sounds like it would just screw up your cycle.

As for people saying oil of oregano is the Quaks oil- Ive known it to be part of a wonderful regimen for treating Strep (yes i know the dangers) and UTI or bladder infections...along with zinc, acidophilus, and vitaC.

Hope this helps
NC