I've been suffering from acne, which I'd very much like to treat naturally without chemicals. I've read about the healing, antibacterial, and antifungal properties of oil of oregano and that it can speed up healing of wounds, insect bites, fungal infections and all that kind of thing. So I was wondering whether it would be possible to use oil of oregano as skincare on the face, to fight acne and perhaps other conditions such as rosacea or general inflammation and perhaps even wrinkles as well?

Is anyone here using it and if you are, how? I'd love to hear from you.

Oregano oil - it's interesting that you mention that!

I recently started making my own. I already had experience making other oils. I use extra virgin olive oil as a carrier oil and use fresh oregano leaves and flowers to make a masserate. I also add some grapefruit seed oil as a preservative. It is not difficult to make and takes about two to two and a half weeks to be ready for use.

So far I've just used it on my fungal toenails, and they are the reason I got into making oregano oil in the first place. But I read that it makes an excellent mosquito repellent as well and plan to try that out. Using it straight on your face may be a bit much but why not add a little in with your moisturizer? Because it is a cleansing agent I will bet that it does your acne some good.

Would you mind letting me know how you get on?

I admit that I'd never heard of this for skincare before, just, you know, something that might go on your pizza or in a nice pasta! I did look it up and am now intrigued... Just a quick Google tells me it has plenty of benefits, but they're mainly related to purely medicinal purposes like congested noses and mosquito bites and GI problems and on and on. Of course it sounds like you could put that stuff on your skin but also it's quite "spicy" you know, and might cause irritation or something? But looking at acne sites yeah, it has very very good reviews regarding spot treatment to rid yourself of acne and treat scars. Really cool! I'm learning a lot here, including things I'd never have come up with on my own so I'd like to say thanks for mentioning this. As you gather I can't actually help you answer your questions but I'll be following this thread eagerly as well...

I have heard of people using oregano capsules for gastrointestinal disorders, and on one rosacea forum I go to, someone mentioned that taking the capsules also improved their skin a great deal. This is interesting. Indeed, it sounds more logical to me that this is something you would use internally, rather than applying it directly on the skin. In case of rosacea I would not do this without consulting your derm.

If you have acne though, you could try spot treatment in non prominently visible parts of your face to determine what the effects are on your face. Sounds interesting. But again you could also consider taking the capsules.

Celebrity

Oh, thanks for mentioning this!!! I have heard about oregano oil and its benefits and would like to try it myself if it is suitable for my skin. I have dry and sensitive skin, and I'm wondering if this might be a good match for me? I'd probably include it in a home-made moisturizer if I were to use it.

I also have a fungal toe infection, which I am treating with the Canesten set successfully. If this could help as well, however, I would like to try oregano oil in addition. (I am not giving up on Canesten at this point!)

Rosie

I used oregano oil to treat my eczema. I went into it not being sure whether I'd see the results I needed, but wanted to try before opting for more medical treatments. The stuff turned out to be wonderful. My eczema is completely gone, and I now take oregano oil orally to maintain a strong immune system as well. Now beware, if your skin is very sensitive, you may want to dilute your oregano oil with water, half half or even more. However, oregano oil IS an anti-inflammatory and is good for your skin in general, even without skin conditions.

No. I haven't tried it yet. Is oregano oil good for skincare?

Hiya and welcome to the forum. Is that your actual face? And were you born in 1969? If so you've definitely gotta share your secret with us!!!

I've heard that oregano oil can make your hair grow faster, and oregano also helps your digestive system. But I don't know if it helps acne. I have not tried it yet. Maybe you can try something else to cure acne.

I've also heard it cures dandruff, and athletes foot. And prevents cancer. If you want an oil for acne I recommend tea tree oil because it kills bacteria that cause acne. Some other oils you could use are lavender oil, rosemary oil, lemongrass oil, bergamot oil, and frankincense oil.

I had never heard of frankincense oil; that sounds really interesting! I once made goose grass oil and that is also very cleansing. Goose grass oil is that sticky stuff also called catch weed or sticky weed or even velcro weed, which is a very appropriate name. You might find it in the woods. What you do is make a masserate of young plants and use sweet almond oil as a carrier oil. I don't have acne myself but I made a pot of cream with the oil, which is a whole different process, for someone with acne. They kept coming back for more so it must do something.

Pickle