I am thinking about going back to taking Oxycontin 80mg 3xday for severe pain. I was on Oxycontin (and Norco 10/325 for break through pain) for a long while and decided in February that I wanted to research and try Methadone for pain because I had heard that it was better for your body "long term" than Oxycontin. Well, I made the switch and Im on 140mg of Methodone...I had been dosing (red liquid-methadose I beleive) at a clinic due to the fact that I was in between doctors because of insurance changes, anyway, I now have my new doctor and he gave me a prescription for 10mg "Methadone"...I dont feel like Im getting the same converage for pain on the pills as I did on the liquid (I know this doesnt make any sense since its supposed to be the same stuff???) Anyway, I am pretty close to deciding that I just want to go back to the Oxycontin because looking back now, I didnt have near the problems on it as I do with the Methadone...Hence the question: What is the best way to make the transition back? and will I be Methadone "sick" during the change over? I was told to stop the Methadone and then start back with my 40mg pills for a couple of days or whatever then back up to the 80's...I was left with the impression from one doctor that this shouldnt be bad, but I really want to hear it from someone who has actually experienced it. I will be talking to my new doctor about this in the next couple of days, but as I said I really just want some true advice from ones who have "been there done that" if you know what-I-mean... ANY ADVICE REGARDING THIS CHANGE, EITHER "FOR IT" OR "AGAINST IT" IS TRULY APPRECIATED...IF ANYONE WANTS TO ADD ANYTHING ELSE LIKE OTHER SUGGESTIONS FOR PAIN CONTROL ETC. I WOULD BE EVER SO GREATFUL! I take pain meds to begin with because I almost broke my back 5 years ago in a serious horseback riding accident, I have had nothing but trouble since including a failed L5/S1 disk replacement and "cage" fusion (I also have disk degeneration disease and another disk protrusion above the one where I had surgery...they want to do MORE SURGERY!!)...and I have done everything from PT to Chiropractors, Accupuncture, Healers, Medication, Pool therapy etc. I just want this pain to STOP!! Im so sick of this BS of having to take meds but I just dont see another way around it...I am trying to focus real hard on alternative healing methods right now, but being weirded out on Methadone is not helping matters! The doctors have all told me that I will probably have to have the other surgery and will most certainly be on pain meds for the rest of my life...I am not wanting to believe this! I am trying very hard to believe that I can and will heal my own back and it is only a matter of time before I will be able to be off meds completely (at least it is my goal!) Anyway, thanks for reading, as you can probably sense at this point, I am very frustrated right now and am sick of feeling like sh*t/being irritable/and my pain is NOT under control with the methadone...so THATS why I want to just go back to my oxycontin...Any advice????? :'(
Thanks so much!

3 yr on 160 oxy / moved 5000 miles changed to 120 to180 meth daily for 6 years / 8 weeks ago I went back on oxy and i was told i would not feel it and i am in a real bind / very little pain relief and no euphoria as i got when i was introduced to oxy/ cant go back to meth
as it did some damage were i get teribble headaches, so bad they hospitalize me and do w/ hydromorphone 4mg every 2 hours...
i could go on, on, on.... be very careful of the decisions you make.... at some point you will be to old to do it any more or you will not find understanding doctor or their will be no money or or or.....no euphoria w/ the oxycontin 120 3xday , I cant go on with the pain. be careful dude

Well I was kinda in your situation and as long as you go straight from from methadone to oxys you will be fine, now if you stop taking them for more than a day or two and then take the oxys your going to be sick for those couple days so I suggest you don't stop taking the dones until your back on the o.c... Good luck sweetie but IMA tell you this. My doctor put me on methadone when I was 19yrs old and I'm 31. I'm a young, black, beautiful female.. and I'm a heroin junkie now..people would never no but that's what my doctor did to me when I was a kid, you better watch out and try y to stop while your ahead cause it only gets worst OK... much luv

I went exact route you did 3 80's a day to 200mg of methadone. Methadone is better for pain,but has more side effects. My heart could not take the meth so I went back to oxy,s. I was titrated by 20 mg a day and you do not feel any changes.