Hi, I have been taking oxycontin for relieving pain after abdominal surgery. But, after a while I needed more and more, now I have tried to stop taking it but I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

Hi, oxycontin is the powerful prescription pain reliever. OxyContin has become a hot new street drug, but it was meant to be prescribed on recipe by doctors. It has worse consequences than abusing heroin. It can be abused by chewing or snorting a 40mg tablet. It is an opiate derivative, so you can take methadone to treat withdrawal symptoms. Also, it is important not to quit it at once, but to act slowly. In this way you will adjust your body to live without oxycontin.

My soon to be husband was addicted to oxycottins due to being prescribed to him to relieve pain from a motorcycle accident. He was addicted to those pills for about a year and a half. Around October 2006 he began a methadone program and at the time was prescribed 80mg a day. At that time he began feeling these withdrawal like symptoms to which they were unbearable to control. I took him to his family doctor who had prescribed the methadone.After the doctor observed his bloody vomit he sent him and I to the emergency hospital. The doctors there said it seems like the stomach flu
or food poisoning and sent us home with brief instructions. He then felt better about 2 days later. Since then his doctor has increased his dosage to 90mg a day. However he has since then had these withdrawal like symptoms it seems like once a month if not more. Therefore i was hoping someone can enlighten me on a cure for this or maybe some words of encouragement so i don't feel like my future husband is gonna die! please and thank you.

i have been addicted to pain pills for about seven years now and ive finally found something that works.if he wants to quit methadone wont work i tried it too.he cant stop cold turkey either because thiers a risk of stroke and other things.he needs to find a doctoer that can prescribe suboxone or subutex.thats his best chance suboxone has narcotic blocker in it so you dont really get any kind of high.and very little if any withdrawals.you really need to look in to it. it will work if he wants it to.its pretty hard to get few doctors can prescibe it.good luck!i dont think he is withdrawing on methadone.the trowing up is a side effect.

I have been on oxycontin since 2001 and percocet as well. As of March/2008 I was up to 3-20mg oxys and 8 percocet/day for breakthrough. I felt I had no control over my life anymore as I had to go for a 30sec appointment once a month to get my prescription. The Doctor basically gave me whatever I wanted. I was dependant on this doctor as I wasn't going to get this anywhere else, and to think that this Doctor is in his mid 80's and either about to drop dead himself or retire.

I met a new girl in January and I totally hid my Narcotics from her. I knew if she found out about what I took everyday just to feel normal she would drop me just like that. As well I want to travel abroad to the US and Europe. I realized that its going to be quite difficult for me to travel anywhere far from home because of the Narcotics.

I thought about the control that I no longer had over my mind, body, and who I wanted to be and what I wanted to do. I Flushed the remaining Oxys down the toilet, and only took the percocet. For the first 2 weeks I became very ill and annoyed and ready to fly off at the first person who wanted to piss me off. I took 100mg of seroquel at night and this made me sleep through the night but no more did it work. I up'ed the seroquel to 300mg with some extended release Gravol x2 and I started getting some sleep. I woke up kinda daised and confused. And I should mention that I take 150mg of Effexor(another story). I took this every morning and gradually over a couple of weeks I started to taper the Percocet. I broke them in halfs and took 8 HALFS/day as opposed to taking a whole percocet. I still had some symptoms but I noticed that this is kinda bearable. I had major night sweats and it smelled really bad. The next week I cut the 8 halfs down to 4 halfs and the next week I quartered 2 whole Perc's and took a quarter of one when I felt I couldn't take it anymore. The next week I started cutting back my Seroquel to a normal level and only Effexor in the morning. On a few occasions of sheer madness and children please don't try this: I started getting buzzed on beer. Now we all know you are not supposed to drink on any of this stuff but i'm one of those people who can take or leave alcohol and I haven't drank much in the last ten years regardless.(I love my POT too). I started going out to bars and I liked it. I played pool and met people and this with the buzz took my mind off the horrible feeling I had in the pit of my stomach. I managed to crash each night and eat as well. I slept well and one day I noticed its gone. That horrible frikkin' feeling is gone. I have no desire to take any Narcotics painkillers anymore. I feel good about myself again and it literally feels like I have been brought back from the edge of death.

I should mention that I was put on these pills because of "Chronic pain". I find this topic "taboo" and it disgusts me on how negative of an impact this can have on anyone. When you start swallowing those little pills it dosen't take long for them to start swallowing you. I live in a city that is dubbed the hillbilly heroin capital of Canada. When I go downtown I see the negative impact this drug has made on my city because there are 2 Methadone clinics in the area. The line ups are very long and ultimatley I could never want to stand in those lines everyday to get my "Juice". Some of the people in these lines were at the very bottom. Lower than whale sh*t on the ocean floor. I wonder as I pass by do any of these people realize what has really happened to them and do they care? I have talked to some people who use methadone and they say it is the worst to get off of. 10 times worse they say.

It is now almost the end of July/2008. I am narcotic free. I am happy again and most of all I have my life and control of it back. I am with the "new girl" and she has no clue. I want to tell her because what I did all on my own is supposed to be impossible. Guess what: Its not! I feel the best that I have in 8 years. i'm not going back. I somehow kept this all secret from those I love for a long time. i don't have anything to hide anymore.

Bottom line if you can taper down to a lower form of oxycocet that is not in its extended realease form..even codeine will help take the butterflys and jitters away. You have to take some pain while your body is metabolizing what is stored in your fats. it may seem like the end of the world but its not. I did it and you can too. It will go away gradually and your body will start making its own "morphine" again. If you want your life back maybe this can empower you in some way I hope.

Where do I start? Back in April of this year(2008) I started taking 10mgs of oxycotin a day to combat my chronic lower back pain. Mind you I had to buy these off the street because no doctor would sanely prescribe this for me. Right off the bat I thought this was a miracle drug. I felt great, absolutely thrilled about life. The pain was gone. Then after about 2 weeks the 10mg a day just wasn't doing the trick anymore. I started taking those little pink 20mg pills. One a day. Wow! This just keeps getting better. Those feelings of pure pleasure felt amazing. Jump to 2 weeks later. I tried a 40mg(the yellow ones..lol)...now this is "f*****g awesome" I thought to myself. sh*t just can't get better than this. I can't even describe to you at the time how I was feeling it was so intensely great. I was sleeping like a baby and feeling great when I woke up to. Guess what? 2 weeks later...I started takin 60mg a day...then eventually 80mg a day....and somedays when i really wanted to get screwed up...120mg a day...never more than that though. After a month of taking 80mg a day...i started developing feelings of depression and anxiety after the high from the pill was wearing off and when it was time to take another dose. I knew I was screwed in the ass at this point.
I honestly looked in the mirror and cried at myself, all that money, what a waste. Look at what I'm doing to myself I said while the tears flowed down my face. I knew I had to make a change. Mind you, I successfully lost around 15 pounds in the process and I'm glad that i looked pretty jacked now. While on the drug I also felt like I was on top of the world and my social skills were developing at a very fast rate. I wasn't afraid or nervous to talk to anyone. Brain activity seemed to be higher as well. I felt smart and confident with everything I did. However, I knew I was hurting my body bad and needed to make a change.
Currently...I have been easing myself slowly off the drug. Its a painfull process but THERE IS NO frikkin WAY YOU CAN DO IT COLD TURKEY....that is BS. Its been 2 weeks and I am now down to 30mg a day from 80mg. There are some points in the day where I want to give up and just shoot myself...lol, but if Jesus was nailed to a cross than I can frikkin beat this. I tell myself every morning when I wake up that I'm better than this. I don't need methadone or anything. I just need to be smart and ease off the drug. As I sit here and write I feel like I need another pill...but f**k THAT...I will beat this...and when I do...I'm never going back.. My body has been through hell over the last week, but it will be worth it in the end. This has extreme courage and mind power written all over it. I can't wait till I get down to those 5mg Perc...cause that sh*t will be so easy to kick.
FOR THOSE WHO ARE HOOKED AND WANT TO MAKE A CHANGE...hang in there, tell yourself everyday in the mirror you can beat it. You WILL NOT LOSE...you are strong, you are an amazing person who has the ability and will to not let anymore evil into your body. Believe in yourself. Think of your family, think of your loved ones, you owe it to yourself and them to fuckinGGG do it! DO IT. I BELIEVE IN YOU!!!
Stay strong! Ease off the drugs, but keep on schedule...don't take more than you should be...or I will kick your ass. Stay busy, keep your mind busy, find a hobby, read, watch movies, chill out, talk with friends, pick up a newspaper or a crossword book, write down your goals, write down how your feeling everyday that you ease off the drugs. Trust me, this sh*t works. Do anything that works. Tell yourself that everyday people!!!
Anyways, thank you for listening to my story. I needed to get that off my chest and remember I BELIEVE IN YOU...GET OFF THE OXY"S...YOU CAN DO IT MY FRIENDS. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you again!!

Christian

Hello I started taking oxys 12 -14 yrs ago started with doc giving my just the 5's 60 of them then to a 100 then he retired and I had no doctor . The clinic was giving them to me but to many started asking or freaking out if they didn't get them . well that ended that so to the streets I go 10's , 20' what ever my body built up such a tolerance the last few years I spent close to well lets say 8 t0 10 40mgs chewed a day the truth talk about sick if i ran out . The 40's cost me 20 to 25 $ a pill I spent everything 100,000 may be much more it did matter then because thats all I wanted . I detoxed at home last week with the help of clonadine and valume I weened down for I week by taking 1 - 40mg every 12 hrs for 3 days then 1- 20mg every 12 hrs for 4 days it was not that bad with sickness I didn't puke , legs alittle bad but it was ok . now I just want my energy back and I lost my love of my life 2 weeks because I told her everything . she has lost of money and wants to travel well I wasted mine and I'm sick over both my money and mostly her . Dont make my mistake and keep putting it off do it know ! JUST DO IT its evil and will destroy your life , please do what you have to do

Hats off to the Self-Detoxers out there, my dumb self and a friend has done it over 5 times each...Cold Turkey ladies and gentlemen (believe me or dont, i could care less w what ive been through), last one was in the dead of winter= residing in hell for what seemed to be FOREVER but its hard(well,hard doesnt begin to describe it!) Doesnt matter if its cold turkey doesnt matter if its a Taper it doesnt matter, it is going to suck either way, personally i could never really taper because i couldnt controll myself and i had no money anymore and no insursance so whats left? Cold Fing Turkey baby! but regardless, to anyone who is trying to get off this Devil pill, i shall pray for you as you should pray for youself as well, you will go through something that is undescribable but you must STICK WITH IT because there WILL be a day you accually fall asleep, wake up and you WILL see the light and you WILL feel like a new born baby! Just dont do what ive done in the past and getting to the rew born baby point and getting overconfident like, hmm i think ill do an oxy today to see what its like(cus you forget once youve detoxed and seen the light), Trust me 1 turns into 1 Everyday after that because the problem with Opiates in general when starting especially...THEY ARE TOO MUCH FUN, point blank... I could write for hours about self detoxing with how many times ive done the BS, but i just want to wish the best of luck to anyone that reads this who is trying to get off this stuff by themself...The only way to describe it, what i tell people is that its A BATTLE WITHIN YOURSELF, EVERY SECOND OF EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY HOUR OF EVERY DAY...So SELF DETOXERS THIS IS A LIST TO TRY AND HELP YOU OUT EVEN THOUGH INSIDE OF YOU HELP SEEMS SO FAR AWAY 1. TELL A DAMN GOOD FRIEND OR FAMILY MEMBER SO YOU ARE NOT ALONE AND THATS THE FIRST STEP ANYWAY IS ADMITTING YOU HAVE A PROBLEM,(TO YOUR OWN SELF TOO) 2. DONT FEEL LIKE YOUR A WASTE OF LIFE BECAUSE YOU ARE JUST LAYING AROUND, YOU MUST KNOW AND BELIEVE YOU ARE BETTERING YOURSELF RIGHT NOW 3. VITAMINS VITAMINS VITAMINS 4. MOVIES 5. A GOOD AMOUNT OF MARIJUANA AND IF CAPABLE, GO DRIVE WHILE YOUR SMOKING WEED OR HAVE SOMEONE DRIVE WHILE YOUR SMOKING WEED SO YOU AT LEAST GET OUT OF YOU HOUSE FOR A WHILE 6. MUSIC 7. EXERCISE A LITTLE EVEN THOUGH IT MAY SEEM CRAZY WHILE HAVEING DRAWLS( I ACTUALLY TOOK UP BODYBUILDING WHILE HAVEING WITHDRAWLS IF YOU CAN BELIEVE THAT 8. EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT FORCE YOURSELF TO EAT AND DRINK GOOD FLUIDIDS 9. WHEN YOU START FEELING LIKE YOUR GOING CRAZY, GO TALK TO THE PERSON YOU OPEND UP TO ABOUT THE ADDICTION AND JUST RELEASE THROUGH WORDS AS BEST AS YOU CAN ABOUT HOW SHITTY YOUR FEELING BECAUSE IT DOES HELP TO TALK ABOUT WITHDRAWLS WHILE HAVEING THEM IS WHAT IVE FOUND OUT 10. FIND SOMETHING, A NEW FAMILY MEMBER BEING BORN OR SOMETHING TO HELP WITH YOUR DETERMINATION ON GETTING SOBER AND 10. IF YOUR HEART GETS TO BEATING TO FAST, SIT UP AND TAKE DEEP BREATHS 11. MASTERBATE OR SOMETHING 12. PRAY... MY HOPE IS TO YOU, SORRY IM TIRED OF TYPEING BUT IF ANYONE NEEDS HELP WITH DETOXING JUST EMAIL _[removed]_ , I KNOW WHAT YOUR GOING THROUGH SO YOU WONT GET FRUSTRATED TALKING TO SOMEONE WHO HAS NEVER BEEN THROUGH THIS... IF I CANT HELP YOU, IF THIS HASNT HELPED YOU THEN GOD WILL, JUST BE STRONGER THAN YOU EVER IMAGINED AND GOOD THINGS SHOULD COME...

these thoughts and comments have not been evaluated by anyone other than myself, i am not a doctor or anything of the sort so take these thoughts and comments as you wish...

Let me tell you what starts out all fun and games, gets you NO f*****g WHERE. The first time I did an O I did 20mg and was literally nodding out. It was great, I loved it, I can never explain that feeling and no one will ever know unless they have been there. So I gradually started using, more and more.. Now Im spending over $500 a week, and not even getting high. After time your body needs more to get that high. Im sitting here now writing this, about to cry I want a pill so f*****g bad. I know that I have to quit this sh*t and I know that I can, earlier this yr I stopped cold turkey. And let me tell you, I have NEVER hurt like that in my life. But its just like a relationship, when you break up with someone (stop using) you feel like you cant go on, you dont want to get out of the bed, you disgust yourself, the list goes on, but then one day I promise you will wake up and realize you dont f*****g need it anymore. My entire paycheck is gone the day I get paid, I steal off my mom, you will find a way to get high. I spent over $1,600 in one week, looking back at that I knnow that I must quit. My sister used to sell and got me using, she was going 4 80s a day, she finally OD'd, which luckily didnt kill her. Know she is on suboxone and staying clean. Another thing, suboxone do work. When all you can think and feel is that O, it helps cut that craving a bit, And I hate all the judgmental pricks, who have so much bad things to sa\y about users. Please dont judge, you dont know how it feels to be here. I wouldnt wish this addiction on my worst enemy. It is the devil. And to all of those out there on Oxys, good luck and stay strong. Change can happen.

It was a typical day at a job I worked 11 years and bang a crippling back injury,,,it progressively worsened so Doc gave me vicoden,,eventually vicoden ES..These I ate like M&Ms for 3 years,,then wouldn't you know it re-injured my back cause the pain meds made me feel I was normal.
This time Doc gives me oxycontin,,,the beginning of horrors.....I had great insurance,,the best medical care and felt like I was in heaven,,evntually the back pain increased and I refused surgery,,just give me more pills..and yup they did...from 2000 to 2003 I was taking these monsters and would take your head off if you asked to buy one,,meantime my case was in workmans comp and they dropped a bomb,,,they determined I caused the injury and therefore the job was not responsible any more and niether was workmans comp...this is horse c**p but they got away with it....I lost my job,,my home and all I owned but most of all the insurance......went from 80mg twice a day to cold turkey,,,tears still fill my heart when I remind myself of the beginning of living hell......there are no words that explain it or describe it and today yes I still have effects mainly my bowels,,,I lost almost 40lbs the first month,,,it seemed all my muscles had disappeared,,I resembled a skeleton with only skin on it.....everyday I prayed but I prayed only to die.I had no friends left, no family to help,,,but came across an old friend and her mom had passed,,and she lived in another state and asked me if I could house sit till she got paperwork in order,,,my friends if this is not GOD it's gotta be close,,but I know it is...people would stop by and see if I had enough to eat....eventually I started getting my self together about a good nine months I was back to functioning and decided to do much needed repairs in the home,,which led to others seeing my work and requesting I do theirs,,,even times staying in others homes while working,,their permission of course.....
Today I'm doin o-kay,,finally had back surgery and found that alil weed takes that edge off when you need that sleep,,it's not for all but it works for me.....I do get flash backs of things I did and it wasn't me in control it was oxy,,,I still cannot get thoughts together to meet decent people,,I am still single and very much alone,,well except for Jesus ,,who never left my side.....with all that has happened the top thing I regret is putting that lil pill in my mouth,,it's not worth it....contrary to opinion you can make it cold turkey but definatly not recommended
Stay strong y'all,,,,

ok so here is my story just like everyone else it was one 20mg every once in a while. then 40mg and so on at the end i was up to 100mg a day, and i know thats not that bad but i was sick of it, and sick of spending the money. i only am 18 and spent my savings of about 11 grand. now what really helped me was seeing all my friends go to rehab, they couldn't stop doing 4 80mgs a day. i saw how it ruined there life's and started taking over mine. so last Thursday i decided to quit cold turkey im on day 5 and im feeling a little better but not much energy. i went and played basketball today and actually that really helped. also steam room, hot baths, fluids (detox teas helps a lot i think and emergen C). i feel like im never going to be fully powered tho. its so hard to not do it again when its right there. anyone trying to quit delete all your contact that you get it from. it would help if some people could tell me when i will get all my energy back. also i was singing a song in church that helped that i thought went along very well with oc withdrawls. "my flesh is weak, my blood is chill, but my free spirit says I WILL". i thought that was so crazy that i came upon that while going threw this so everyone going threw it i will pray for you and i know you WILL. also what can i expect for the next week? info would be great. good luck every one."This shall pass" :'( :'(

I want to tell you how much your story touched me, the words of encouragement and advice the way you kept saying you can do i beleive in you made me feel so good i have tears streaming down my face, i thank u so much , I wish i had the motivation to stop my addiction but i dont seem to care , but after reading your words it made me feel encouraged and almost like i had someone rooting for me, thank u, id love to know how u are doing now my email is _[removed]_ my name is kendra, thank u again

hello all, thought i would start this post. today is day #2 going off 6 10/325 percocets and some OC's 60 20's in a week. This is started about 2 years ago i have an neurological disease. dr started on vicodin and then went farther and farther in. In October of 08' when i was fining i ran int an old buddy i had ran out of my script so i asked him if i could get or if he knew anyone who could get OC's to hold me over til i got my percs he hooked it up, but of course i had to give him a cut and i had some as well. the next three months just got worse i think i have spent around 2,000 on these drugs in the last 7 weeks. It sucks it really does. this last week once again my RX was out, and i got 10 7.5 vicodins from my sister i thought about it for a minute, its not me im an addict 10 isnt going to last me til the 22nd i took 5 at one time, gave the rest to my mom and told her not to except me to be able to do much for at least 2 weeks IM DOING THIS COLD TURKEY, i got some ambien and xanax tho. Right now its just major pains more then normal, sweating, chills, runny nose, diarrhea, lumpiness, im sure there will be more to come PRAY FOR ME PLEASE I REALLY WANT TO DO THIS. The whole point of this is not me getting off meds sounds silly? i need to lower my tolerance and learn from this experience, i will still be on meds but I WILL NOT ABUSE EVEr again GOD BLESs bryan

Bryan I'm feeling your pain this is day 2 for me, I took a mixture of whatever I could get my hands on which generally totaled about 10 to 15 vic es and 6 percocets a day, I'm in full blown withdraw, runny nose, sneezing I've been to the toilet at least 10 times, I have the chills and I can't sleep. I know tomorrow I can get more pills but I'm battling whether to let this run it's course and get clean, but my mind is telling me you can't take another day of this. I have absolutely no other med's to take including OTC's to help me sleep and honestly they don't work for me from years of abusing them. I still haven't decided what Im going to do but wanted to wish you luck and let you know there are many of us in this same situation at the same moment.

GOOD LUCK!

I have turned to many sites in looking for help, guidance... anything to keep me "occupied" during the worst of times... I too, am (unfortunately) a 'recovering' oxy-addict... This is my second AND FINAL fight with these bastards. I was prescribed Percocets for broken ribs (yeah, I know.) ... and eventually, it lead to me taking pills from my father... who is on both oxycontin, and 'endocet' for chronic pain... Last April (2008) both he and my mom noticed that pills were missing... I had gone to see a counselor at the health clinic to talk with them and find out what to do... their suggestion was to fess up... which I did... I broke their hearts... and somehow they forgave me. Stress from my former job, drove me back in December... I almost went a year without them... but I hopped on the bandwagon again. Friday night I went through some brutal withdrawal (vomiting and arm-aches), which my parents say was from stress from my new job... but it's not... I slept like a baby Friday night after I had been sick... and felt fine on Saturday... but stupidly, I had taken a little more oxy... I have about 1/4 of a pill left, and I'm holding out until I can't any more, to take it... to finish them off... I am staying in a hotel for the next couple weeks for work so hopefully that will assist in not being able to get my hands on it again!

To those who are struggling, as I am... There is hope... I was there, I was happy... but I tripped; watch where you run/walk... don't trip, don't get caught in the trap again.