I guess I need some info regarding Oxycontin withdrawal. Is it hard and how long does it last? I have been prescribed with it for my constant back pain and I have to admit that it really helps. But I start sweating just by thinking about the withdrawal and I know that moment is coming closer. Any advice?

I think that you should consult your doctor about the best way to stop using Oxycontin. What I want to say is that some people just suddenly stop taking the drug and in that case withdrawal effects are much stronger. The pint is, some can handle that, and others cannot. Gradual decrease of the dosage is one way of doing that, but like I said, consult your doctor first.

My doctor suggested I take seboxone to help withdrawal from oxycontin. It blocks the receptor in your brain that gets you high, but allows the drug to work to stop the withdrawal symptoms. Ask an addiction doctor about it or a psychiatrist. They will have more info on it than I have.

I have been taking Oxycontin and Oxycodone in 100mg daily for two years. I decided this week that I am done. Sunday I had my usual dosage 100mg, Monday I took 20 mg, tuesday i took 50 mg, Wednesday I took 25 mg, Thursday i took 20 mg, and now friday I have only taken 5mg but suspect I will take another 5-10mg. I was going to try and go cold turkey but after 24 hours I was going nuts and since I have a invenrtory of pills I decided to go gradual. I am anxious, emotional, and my muscles ache. No vomiting, no diarhea. I have not told my doctor. The rate seems like I will be off the drugs within the next week. HALLELUJAH! I do not want to live another day in an opiate state. I am done, finished. If I can give any advice - don't start - they hook you. It is like the commercials on cigarettes where the skeleton comes out of the body and forces you back to taking the drug. It is nasty!

you guys are all fools 3-4 days cold turkey ull feal better drink allot of upper drinks coffee energy drinks and ull face will feel dry make sure you drink lots of water to flush it out

and make sure you buy something like popsicles with anioxidects and vitamins

8 year user

I'm had an addition to oxy as well. Physicians typically prescribe it without educating the patient first. I believe they should have to see what a person on oxy acts like and then see a person going through withdraw. I'm on day 3 of quiting cold turkey. I'm strong enough to have the will power to throw the pills in the trash and not look back. This is my first time of quiting oxy in 2 years. Oxy is so addictive. I never thought I would be an addict. I get the oxy with a prescription, nothing on the street, etc. I've never done that. I did notice over time the oxy wasn't giving the affects it once did. The physician had me take 3 other pills with it. I was in another world each day. Some days I was moody and other days a very fun person. Oxy is weird and so many are addicted to it and don't know what to do. I agree the proper way is probably to see a pain mgmt clinic to slowly wing you off of it unless you have strong, very strong will power. Each day goes by I feel just a little better. I figure by 2-3 more days I'll be much, much better. The withdrawal symptoms are horrible. Diarrhea, Day/Night sweats, Unable to sleep. Maybe 1-2 hours of sleep is all I've gotten in 3 days. One or two more days to go and I feel a good night sleep coming and probably naps during the day to get caught up. I hope I never see one of those oxy's again. I wouldn't take them if they were free. Too much habit forming with addition to always need it or need higher dosage. I've told one person, my partner and told him I was going through withdrawal. He is giving me the space and time to get through this week. I'm too embarrassed to tell anyone else. I'm ashamed of letting pills control me and my life. The hardest part (the first 3 days) will be over in a few more hours, then at night I don't even think of it. I try to stay busy, watch movies, go out running, anything to keep my mind off pills. For those who can't get there head up, then I would recommend a pain clinic to slowly take you off them. I'm only on the 20mg/ twice per day and only took one Sunday @ 11am. No oxy Mon, Tues, and today is Wed, still not taking oxy. Quitting cold turkey isn't easy, I have notes around that I can do it. I have it on a calendar and I keep telling myself (one more day), after that passes (one more day)..yeah, it's hard, but I would rather do it on my own without a slow withdraw from it. I told myself a week of side effects is nothing if I can get this out of me and not ever crave it. I'm almost there..getting closer each day. I don't know if this drug should even be available. I know it's good, but so, so, so addictive. I'm a normal guy, no shooting, snorting, or whatever else some users do. I was taking a 20mg of oxy twice per day and sometimes only once per day. Someone wrote on here somewhere if you can make it a month your "golden". I hope that's true. My goal is I've quit, now I never want to start back. One pill can do a lot of damage, it's just not worth the high or good feeling. Once you start, it's forever unless you decide or are made to quit. The withdrawal is not easy, so just remember that if you do start. If I were at over 80mg per day, then I would go to a pain clinic. It may cost money, but in the long run which will cost you more. The lifetime of Oxy.
Good luck. I'm 74 hours clean so far.

wow i hope you are now oxy free. iv been on oxy and fentanyl patch since about 2004 and now im getting off of it. iv spoke with a dr and come monday im not suppose to take it and on thursday im suppose to get on suboxon (spelling?) to help with the withdrawl. im soooo scared and unsure of what im going to go through,im told by a doctor that im going to hurt,sweat,etc. iv heard of people talking about bugs crawling on them. and that the suboxon is worse then the meds themselves. im also taking my oxy and fent like im suppose to, and am told that its a pysiological addiction, and that im not an addict, and that iv been on it so long that its not working for the pain any more anyway,and its doing more harm then good.iv seen that you said that you were moody at times with the oxy, i wonder if thats why i can get mad easily at times and why im so depressed and if getting off of it will help that. i know im all over the place with my typing im just not sure of what to do, iv nobody to talk to, im having doubts, im going to go through withdrawl alone and im afraid that it could kill me, i know that sounds dumb, but im just scared and need some reasurance. anyway i hope that you were succesful, even if you wern't don't be hard on yourself, you can always do it again, in a differant way.

I have been on opiates for atleast 6 years. I've been on 60mg twice a day oxycontin, 100mcg/per hour fentanyl, oxcodone APAP 10/325mgs for chronic pain. I can't take the zombie lifestyle any longer. I can't take the constipation, lack of physical activity ect. By trade I am a microbiologist and a toxicologist so I should have known better but I did not listen to my inner conscience. I am now severly physically dependent upon opiates. I was recently hospitalized for surgery and I was in total agony after surgery because they gave me only 10mg of morphine and given my high tolerance one can say it was like trying to kill an elephant with a bean flip....the morphine did even touch my pain....I screamed in pain and finally had to just tell the surgeon that I have extreme tolerance to opiates...my tolerance was so extreme my dose of morphine had to be titrated 60mg per 3 hours. The hospital staff told me that I was one of the most opiate tolerate people they had encountered....needless to say I was extremely ashamed, but I should not have been, I was on medication for chronic pain (an autoimmune disorder). So now I am finished with these awful opiates. I got a little survival kit from my doctor to go cold turkey. I am quitting for good. The kit includes lomotile, promethazine, Valium, advil, and I was advised to buy soup, juice, electrolyte replenishing drink. My doctor stated that if I have any heart problems go to the hospital or call him. I went off the fentanly first and there was no withdrawal because I was still on the oxycodone. Now I am the process of withdrawing from the oxcodone and oxycontin. I am on day 2 and it is hell. I feel like I am burning from the inside out. My pain level is unbearable and I am taking advil for pain. I have not experienced any sleep disturbances yet (probably the Valium helping with that). The sweats are awful I am literally sweating so much my clothes are having to be changed every few hours, I have had mild diarrhea, chills, and feelings of bugs crawling on my skin, and feelings of restless legs (this is mild thanks to the Valium). I will purge these opiate devils from my body and never look back. I am determined to quit and find another way to manage my chronic pain. I don't blame anyone but myself and as a toxicologist I should have known better. Opiates in my opinion are the most addictive substances known to humankind. Based on various articles I should be fully detoxed by next Sunday (5 days from now). I want to feel the pain so I will remember not to get addicted to opiates ever again. To all of you that want to quit I hope this post will help you.

Hello Everyone,

I am very optimistic today despite I have mild diarrhea. Last night I had the legs flopping last night (aka RLS) even after I took 10 mg of Valium. It was horrible. I finally started filling sick because my promethazine tab wore off. I ingested another promethazine and a lomotil (for the diarrhea). I finally went to sleep after lomotile and promethazine took effect. The sweats are almost gone I only sweated one time. I got 7 hours of sleep and woke up and the burning from inside feeling is gone. Also, the chills are gone. Now I'm only dealing with digestive problems (nausea, stomach cramps, diarrhea). I also feel like a new me and even though I'm sick I feel liberated from opiates. The withdrawal is horrible but it is worth it. By the end of the week I should be well. I can actully feel like a real person instead of a constipated zombie. I'm still taking advil for my chronic pain and it works some but not as good as opiates but I don't care because at least I don't feel like a zombie. My problem had gotten so bad I had to have friends and relatives to drive me places because I was too intoxicated to drive. Now I'm free and do not have depend on anyone. I actually think my body has started producing endorphins because I feel great even though I'm still in the middle of detox. God bless all and I will keep you all posted. Don't give up if you are just starting detox it's hard and painful but if I can do you can do it.

I'VE BEEN ON OXYS SINCE 2001. HIGHEST DOSE 240MG PLUS. I TOO HAVE AUTO IMMUNE DISEASE. I WANT MY PAIN PILLS. OF COURSE I FEEL BETTER,NO PAIN MAKES ME HAPPY. SINCE ALL OF THE ABUSERS, DOC TOOK ME OFF. ON DAY 2 GOING NUTS, DIREHEA, HOT/COLD SWEATS.PAIN,ETC. WANT MY PILLS BACK

Dang! I'm sick of this sh*t too! Degenerative disc and joint disease and joint surgery gone bad! Fudge! Almost a year since surgery Initial pain was horrific! But finally now just breakthrough pain and pain associated with arm usage. Still..been trying to get off this sh*t for at least 6 months. Now I'm being weined off by the doctor thankfully but what a b***h it has been. Still, It's dragging on for too long I just want to end it now and go cold turkey. My first attempt 6 months ago I was able to go 24+ hrs without the drug..100mg per day. Now I can barely go 12 hrs without the withdrawl symtoms beginning. If I could just be by myself for 4 or 5 days to cold turkey it. Unfortunately thats not possible. To make matters worse I'm still unemployed going on 9 months and euc is about to dry up! I know once i"m off completely I won't have any problems staying off because I will feel so much better. I"m down to 50mg pr day but had an absessed tooth that cause me to increase mg daily usage back to 80-90mg for about a two weeks. That problem is cured but now I have to get back where I was when the tooth pain began. I think I'm gonna go 50mg for one week, then 40mg 3-4 days, then 30 then 20 etc. Hopefully within a months time I will be completely off!! 

Do it cold turkey,  use clonadine for cold sweats....imodium for diareah.....naproxin for aches and pains.  feel the pain that way you will never go back love life.....1 1/2 user

Hello Everybody,

I'm new to this forum and have had quite the experience recently with Oxy.  Just wanted to give my story and some hope to those looking to get off of Oxycontin and that it CAN be done.

I had recently lost my father to a brutal illness and was devastated.  I was given oxycontin from a "friend", trying to help me through the depression.  I'm not a drug user of sorts under most circumstances, however my weakness gave into these drugs and I ended up addicted over a period of 1.5 years.  Started at about 20MG a day and ended up at 300MG plus a day.  A mix of oxycontin, roxycodone, dilaudid and hydrocodone.  Mostly oxycontin OP however as those were readily available in my area.  I've tried to quit several times realizing that I could not go more than 6 hours without awful withdrawal symptoms.  Long story short, quitting cold turkey was painful and as I was going through it, I had a weak mind about it and when the pain and discomfort was just too much to handle, I decided to take vicodin at first, which quickly progressed back to using oxy again and the rest was, as many of you know, the beginning of the pill popping all over again.  It was 1 month and week ago that I had decided to give it another try.  This time I decided to taper down with the support of my wife.  She held all of my pills and would administer them to me as I had created my own tapering schedule.  Some prefer to do this in a shorter period, while others decided to do this over a greater period of time.  I chose 2 months, however as I was building more confidence with the success of the taper, I ended from a dosage of 15mg per day and only went through two nights of acute discomfort that was actually pretty light.  I work as a manager in a high tech company and if I slow down, they let go.  Meaning, I can’t be out of work or I’ll get fired if I’m absent or “sick” too often.  

Anyways, for me tapering was the best way to go by far.  Every week I’d taper down.  I was taking oxycontin 3 times a day.  8, 4, 12 o’clock toward the end of my tapering, however before, it was whenever I needed it.  On Friday at 4PM, I would start my taper down for the weekend, so work didn’t suffer that greatly.  Usually by Monday, I’d still be a bit down, but by the end of the day, I’d be fine and adjusted to the lower amounts in my body.  To me it was painless in comparison to doing this cold turkey, but to each their own.  I’m not out of the woods yet, but the worst I was getting with tapering was chills, cold sweats, and some pretty annoying body aches and spasms for about 48 hours, but was still able to sleep, other than maybe the first day of my taper of which I took malatonin, and managed to get a little sleep and this was always during the weekend.  Then by the third day the adjustment started taking place.  I do however have a fast metabolism for being 40 years old.  When I quit cold turkey, I couldn’t sleep, all of the above symptoms lasted for about 2 solid weeks, along with diarhea and violent vomiting, to the point that I couldn’t take it and as mentioned, started back on pills to feel better.  Everybody has to go about it their own way, but I wanted to share what I went through.  I’m now on 7 days of days being clean and feeling great.  Have my energy back, still have a bit of body ache, but nothing serious and can sleep without the aid of sleeping pills.  Life is returning to normal and I have joy and happiness.  I’ve regained interest in playing my guitar and sing and play my heart out because I’m truly happy to feel my life returning to normal.  Hopefully won’t hit PAWS, but one day at a time is what I keep on reminding myself.  The anxiety exists in the morning but seems to get better as the day progresses and is getting less and less each day.

I wish all of you the best of strength in getting through this.  It’s not easy, but again, it was much easier for me to taper than to go cold turkey and I’ve tried cold turkey several times as I always told myself I didn’t want to prolong the pain but was never successful in this approach.  It’s also very difficult to go cold turkey and maintain life, while tapering allowed for me to continue through work with a couple of bad days during the weekends but stabilized by Monday or nearly but enough to get through the day and again by the end was feeling fine and stabilized.  

I have always been a strong willed human being, never believing in mass-hysteria also known as mass power of suggestion over anything and likewise goes for addicitons.  First of all studies are only conducted using 100 to 500 people.  I have used Oxycontin 40 twice a day, Fentanyl 100 mgs, Percs, for 8 years all a at the same time.  Over those years I have NEVER taken any one of them at the same time on any given day. I just take them whenever I get up whether 7 or 11 a.m. and whenever I am ready at night. I do not stop life to go take them and have twice DECREASED the strength of various ones at various times.  There have been times I had the flu or was sick or forgot to bring them on a trip with me and lo and behold, I was the same person except for excruciating pain again.  I went without my Fentanyl and Oxycontin for 2 weeks while insurance compnanies fought here over what was what.  Lots of pain yes, but as far as the drugs....I just took Tylenol it their places and that was that. 

I think we too often get in our mind that we are not in control of ourselves so it feels better to be one of the masses reaching out for help before knowing if we even need help and just becasue someone said so.  Yes, our brains change, but do they change because we are in pain and our pain is relieved or just because it is Oxycontin. In other words, it an apple make us feel better would we believe ourselves to be addicted?  YES.  It is not the drug we are addicted to....it is the FEELING BETTER and that is what actually changes the brain waves.

Everyone will be ok.

xo

I was on oxy 4 ,9 mo. And now I stopes taking and my pain increase 5times and I got joint pain which I never experience b4; I took small dose , so I did not have ,,regular ,, w/d simptomes; one thing is 4 sure: my pain is much worst than b4 I took oxy!!!