I hate to admit it but I have a problem with my alcohol use so I'm officially giving it up.  I've been reading lots of other peoples posts and I felt the need to share my experiences in hopes it can help someone.  I was finally able to admit I had a problem to some of my friends and I think that really got it set in my mind.  I am sick of not being able to control my drinking.  I have this thought in my head that I can curve my hangovers with booze so I was waking up and drinking til I felt 'normal'.  I'm 26 years old coming off a pretty heavy binge.  I've been drinking pretty heavily for 8 years with some breaks in-between.  I was always the guy at parties that would out drink anyone else like it was a gift I had been blessed with.  I now realize that this gift was a curse to my well being.

This isn't the first time I've had to come 'off' alcohol.  It is however the 3rd time within the past year.  Apparently I have to learn the really hard way.  I've quit cold turkey all three times.  The first time was the worst, I should have sought medical help but I managed to force my way through it by talking frequently to a friend who's been to rehab.  I wish I would have sought medical help because it would have definitely made things easier.  Now I'm sitting here coming off it for the 3rd time and was hoping others reading this can gain some knowledge in case they are experiencing withdrawals.

I have told my roommate about my problem and I'm not sure what he thinks.  He did reference that he would take all the alcohol out of the kitchen.

So for the first 24 hours of no alcohol being consumed, its been pretty rough.  Alcohol sweats, some anxiety, fever.  It feels like my mind is cloudy right now.  I  was able to hold down some food which I think it helping me at the moment.

I've been drinking lots of water and I take daily vitamins and also milk thistle.  My friend went to rehab and they mentioned this to help in the cleansing the liver.  I've been trying to move around as much as possible to try and sweat more but its hard to do when all you want to do is sleep (and can't).  It usually takes me two days of rest before my mind gets back into a sleep schedule and I can actually sleep.

The college I attend has free counselling for alcohol abuse so I figured I would schedule a meeting when my withdrawals begin to subside.  It's so hard to tell people around you you have a problem but it truly helps when you admit it to someone.

Hopefully someone sees this and finds it helpful.  I shall post daily until my withdrawals are over.

Thanks for having a great outreach forum!

Hello Steven, how are you doing with the withdrawals? It is in my opinion one of the hardest things to go through. I am praying for you. 

Take care!

Hope you ca update us on how you are doing. I pray that you are well and alcohol free. You are so right ...it is a curse.

I think it is most important that don't loss the hopes and more important you shouldn't quit in doing efforts to overcome this...hope you are well.

High everyone.  This is my first time reading these E-mails.  It has Me think a lot.  I am 54 and have been drinking since 15.  At first casually but the last eight years I have been drinking at least a pint of vodka or Yeager a day.  I switched from beer to vodka because I didn't want to get fat (stupid).  I have three inteligent children who all do very well in school and a loving wife for 25 years.  I have sucesfully held a great job for 30 years and have a masters degree.  All this being said I felt I had a succesful carreer.  I was laid off last year and my drinking increased.  I pass out on the couch often and the kids are gettting mad (18yr boy and 17 year twin girls).  I tried to stop drinking last month cold turkey and it lasted about 10 days.  I experienced several of symtoms. (nausia, sick, shakes, sleepless nights).  I have just stopped drinkingagain three days ago with the same symtoms.  The first day I was sick as a dog and couldn't even keep down water, the second day I was able to eat but did not sleep again.  Today I feel pretty good and am eating normally.  I am trying to do this on my own and this time will attend AA meetings but many of the stories I have read indicate their are further problems ahead?  Has anyone out there quit cold turkey and been OK later?  I also read a few articles that it OK to ween yourself frmo alcohol?  Any successsful people out there?

Hope you can update us on how you are doing.