I have attempted to figure out the best way to get off methadone while experiencing the least amount of withdrawals as possible, and so far it has worked. Please share your feedback after reading the following:

I was on methadone for the past several months. The first time I tried to get off, I had stopped taking the methadone for only 48 hours before taking a 8mg Suboxone pill. I immediately went into Precipitated Withdrawal, which was one of the most horrifically atrocious experiences in my life. There are no superlatives that could describe the torture I went through during that hour, but I'm sure many others have unfortunately went through it as well. My doc gave me a few Oxycodone's to balance things out and the Precipitated Withdrawal went away.

This 2nd time around, I've researched things more thoroughly, and I'd like to hear feedback about my process from all of you. I brought myself down to taking 20mg of methadone per day before I stopped taking methadone altogether, about 2 weeks ago from today. Right after I stopped taking the 20mg of methadone per day, I started taking Oxycodone every day for about 10 days. I didn't experience any of the methadone withdrawals after I switched to Oxycodone. I got myself to transition from Methadone to Oxycodone without experiencing any significant withdrawals or side effects. I heard the transition from Oxycodone to Suboxone is much more pleasant than the transition from Methadone to Suboxone so my goal was obviously then to go from Oxycodone to Suboxone. After I stopped taking Oxycodone on Day 10, I began taking Suboxone the day after. I started by taking 2 8mg Suboxone pills. The heavy withdrawal symptoms came for about 30 minutes, but luckily I fell asleep. I woke up about 1 hour later and felt much better. I got the chills/goosebumps a lot but that was the only side effect. On Day 2, I only took 1 8mg Suboxone instead of 2, and things were a little better than on Day 1. I still had the chills but not as bad. Day 3 was better. And Day 4 is even better, still at 1 8mg pill.

I haven't taken any methadone in more than 2 weeks and haven't taken any oxycodone in more than 4 days and have not experienced any significant withdrawal symptoms so far. I've been taking Suboxone for these past 4 days. As of now, I'm taking 1 8mg Suboxone pill. I am planning on taking the 8mg pill once more tonight and again tomorrow night, but then after that, split them in half and take 4mg a night for a few nights, and then 2 mg a night, and then come off suboxone. So basically I would've only been on the suboxone for a few weeks, hopefully not long enough to experience any significant withdrawal symptoms when I get off of it in (what I hope is) 2 weeks.

MY QUESTION TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP: I've been on 8mg of Suboxone for 4 days now and haven't experienced any significant withdrawals - how should I get myself off of Suboxone now? Should I follow what I just talked about in the previous paragraph? Everything I've done has worked so far so hopefully this will too.

Thanks! I appreciate your feedback!

Jeff
Atlanta, GA

Don't try come off the suboxone. Suboxone therapy works, but you must stay on it more than a few days. Get into treatment with a suboxone doctor as soon as you can. There are programs to help pay for it, your Doc can help. you cannot quit hard core opiate adddiction overnight. The suboxone works! Even if you relapse, go back to it it works. It will give you a normal life back. I think the methedone clinics are stuck in the old minsets of the past. Suboxone is a new effective treatment for opiate addiction.

I was on Suboxone for 1 year and 4 months and it worked so well for me!! I only relapsed once and then I was right back on track because I didn't even feel it because suboxone blocks your receptors. Even if you wait 24 hours after your last dose of suboxone you still won't really feel any other opiates even 80 mgs of oxycontin which is what I did... Anyways what I really meant to say before I started rambling, is that Suboxone withdrawal symptoms are just as bad as oxycontin withdrawals!!! I even tapered extremely slowly like down to .5 mgs a day and still coming off that was terrible!!!! This drug is so long acting and powerfull that doctors NEED to understand that we need 8 mg sized pills with only like 2 or 4 mgs in it so we can taper into the MICROGRAMS... I know it sounds silly but it's the TRUTH!! anyways I hope this helps...

Yeah, break those suckers into crumbs at the end. Very easy to do. Not easy to stay off though. you do need some sort of aftercare plan. go to NA or something. i've done what you have twice now and gone back on each time as the chemical imbalance in the brain is just too much if you need to work etc.

i'm in pretty much the same boat. good luck

I was taking oxycodone 30mg for about 6-8months. At my peak usage toward the end I was using around 120-150mg a day. I went out, bought some blues & gave them to my significant other to disperse to me as needed. Having tried to quit cold turkey only to relapse, I can tell you that tapering is amazingly more helpful & easy. It will not relieve everything, but you must endure some hardship or this will all be for nothing. It can't be too easy! After the oxycodone I took 2 8mg suboxone & made them last about 2-3 weeks. Literally doing only a small fraction of a pill under my tongue each day, or even a finger dipped slightly in the powder. My kick did suck but peaked at about the 2nd night. A list of somethings that amazingly helped me through it:
1. Support from my significant other was the most important thing. Someone to talk to you, take you on a walk around the block, help reassure you that you are not alone & are doing the right thing will make or break allot of people.
2. OTC Medications - Advil, Benadryl, Nyquil, Chamomille Tea, all these things are extremely helpful but should be taken with care. Always read the warning labels!
3. Between doing laps around my block, my living room, or simply sitting in my rocking chair for a couples hours in the middle of the nights, your gonna need some basic excercise. Get up & do a little housework. These will relieve the restlessness in your legs, the aches in your body, the depression in your head, & the feeling of "my-bones-want-to-jump-out-of-my-skin!!!". The sooner you start treating your body right, the better it will start dispelling the toxins you have so joyfully accumulated over time. Your brain adjusted to opiate use, now give it some natural endorphins & you will see a dramatic change.
4. Drink plenty of fluids.
5. I do not recommend using another prescription, illicit, or otherwise potentially addictive and dangerous drug to substitute. It is a very dangerous door for a recovering drug addict to open. You can do it with willpower. Many have before you, use the internet for their advice & encouragement.
6. I prolly took 8-10 showers when I began to kick. Hot water is a miracle in kicking & withdrawal symptoms. If you have access to a spa, USE IT. A hot bath is sometimes the only way that you will be able to get out & lay down for more than 1 minute. The first couple nights I only got a couple measly hours of sleep, but they were amazingly helpful. The only way I got to bed was by taking a hot shower to relax, and being so tired I simply passed out as soon I felt the slightest bit of comfortableness in my bed.
7. Sometimes the only comfortable position was praying like a muslim, while naked in the shower. Asking for help from a higher power can be very relieving, even if it is just the power of suggestion. That in & of itself can go a long way in your recovery. Don't be afraid to ask for help, from anyone.

I can tell you that with these tools, especially controlled tapering, willpower, love & support, your chances will increase dramatically. I wish you the best of luck. I have not touched a single opiate or opiod since. I never puked, or s**t myself. I did have anxiousness, cravings, insomnia, hot flashes & hot sweats, restlessness, the unnerving feeling of being in my skin, but everything was manageable with these tools used correctly. It was still an extremely uncomfortable experience, but a necessary one for the change you desire. Shed your old skin, it'll hurt a little, but quickly you will learn to love the skin you live within.

Peace.

i have only been on methadone for i guess 4 months. but i am having to return to work and that stuff is a big no-no on my cdl. cold turkey feeling like hell. my question how long before i get a clean u.a. ? kinda glad i decided to stop a month before i return to work cause there would be no fucntioning at all. i have had withdrawels from tramodol, vics, percs all short lived would have already been up and around. the chronic back and neck pain i suffer from sent me to this medicated hell. i would rather be in discomfort than the agony of medical addiction. i'm hoping that i will not have to try the suboxone don't want to trade one for the other.

Jeff3783 wrote:

Thanks! I appreciate your feedback!

Jeff
Atlanta, GA

Go like this......take 8mg suboxone on day 1. 6mg day 2. 4mg days 3-6. 2mg days 7-10 and then take 1mg days 11-14. Day 15 onward, take NONE. The withdrawals will be quite easy compared to any other opiate, but they take about 21 days to get thru. (you'll be lethargic and have at least 5 sleepless nights) but thats the best way to go. I tried cold turkey and nearly tripped out of my mind. Too much to handle. Do the Suboxone taper like I said. Dont stay on it for more than 14 days.

Jeff3783 wrote:

Thanks! I appreciate your feedback!

Jeff
Atlanta, GA

suboxone is hard to get off from also, i was on 2 mg of suboxone for 2 weeks and could not get off...
after 6 months of still being on , i am tired and want my life back ....really do not know what to do
and can not afford to see this dr. again

Trust me...do not stay on suboxone. Try to do a taper 18-20 days longest and the last two days you should be at half of one mgm

ive been on it for 6 months and just recently tried to cold turkey it. i was detoxing. not to a horrible extent, but it was pretty strong. i only take a sliver a day for the past month and i still cant get off of it. im so tired of having something control my life. i really think the only way to fully get off everything is to go to rehab. who the f*** can afford that?

racetek07 wrote:

I thought you are not allowed to break oxycontin in half....

Quote:

racetek07 wrote:

No you are not supposed to break Oxycontin tabs EVER, and just a little FYI, every drug treatment they have out there to assist with detox are all addicting, you are just trading one drug for another. It may not be what ppl want to hear, but it's the truth. Don't ppl ever wonder why drug companys can never seem to create a treatment for addiction that doesn't involve more of the same. I wish everyone best wishes!!!

Thanks for this wonderful information

I've tapered from percocet which is different from what you are talking about but the best thing was taking imodium..apparently in large doses 6-8pills every 4-6hrs or less..see how you feel. They are an opiate that doesn't cross the blood brain barrier so you don't get high but you don't feel too sick either. Also quinine is great for rls, you can drink tonic water or ask for an rx but only take 20mgs at a time until that crawly feeling goes away. And drinking alot of water and vitamin B6 if you can keep it down. I know it's not suboxone but apparently that can be really addictive if taken for a long time as well. Good luck and I hope this can help you or someone :)

I have been on Oxycontin (60mg 2/day) since 9/2011 for pain (thumbnail: severe fibromyalgia,  osteoarthritis, disc degeneration, lupus & after effects of neck & knee (both) surgeries).  I was using Vicodin 10mg for breakthrough pain and recently am trying Nucynta (Dr was concerned about acetaminophen & liver).  The jury is still out on the Nucynta but I am concerned about the Oxy.  It is extremely hard to fill locally (Orlando, FL) so I have to wait for mail - not a good thing if you are completely out & getting through to the nurses at the Dr office to explain why you are asking for your new scrip "early" - well, we don't need to go there.

So, I want to get off of the Oxy for a variety of reasons but I will still need to be on an effective pain medication and I like the time release meds.  The Oxy has worked quite well for my pain even though I periodically do need something for breakthrough pain.  But I can tell it is addictive; this is the first time in my years of taking pain meds that I have ever recognized that something was not quite right.  I found myself abusing it without really thinking about it.  That was my first wake-up call but apparently I slept right through it.  Now, I realize this is bad and need to get off of it yet still find a medication that performs like the Oxy did without being addictive, as Oxy is.  I never had this problem with the Vicodin and I think I have been taking that for 20 years.   I started with 7.5 and upped it to 10 two to three years ago.

Can anyone tell me what medication I should be considering?  I don't want to go to a Pain Clinic here and if you read up on Oxycontin in Florida you will understand.  I am doubtful that I could find a "good" clinic & get in within a reasonable time frame & my Dr agrees.  So, before I go see him on Wednesday, I am researching in  order to bring some proposals to the table.  Summing up, I am dealing with bone pain, muscle pain, post-op pain, arthritis in nearly every bending area of my body & I'm sure I left something out but let"s work with this.

Can anyone give me some suggestions, direction?  It will be much appreciated so I thank you in advance.