I've been having sharp, stabbing pain every so often, on the left side of my torso around 4 inches lower than my armpit and towards my back an inch or so.. it's not pain in my back or my abdomen... it's on my left side. My husband says it's in my rib cage on the side where it wraps around. It started out happening at night when I'd get up to go to the bathroom. I'd take a couple steps and then bam! It would be a sharp enough pain that I'd give out a yell. It would repeat too. Now, it happens during the day, every so often, as well. It now bothers me at night while trying to sleep. And as I write this, it's now a dull ache. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

there are several possible reasons for experiencing this type of pain - and your husband might just be right when he attributes it to your rib cage. From bruised or cracked rib (I assume you'd remember any injury to the area). Also, there is a membrane protecting your lungs from ribs that can get inflamed and cause stabbing pains - noticeable almost every time you breathe. However, depending on your age and especially if the pain is spreading toward your arm or you experience any unusual symptoms, I'd recommend you to visit a doctor and just make sure everything is OK with your heart, too - even more so if you had heart problems in the past. Wish you all the best!

Thank you Nikols. I didn't have any specific injury to cause this pain. It just randomly started. It's always stayed in the same spot... not traveling up or anything. It's kind of where my bra strap hits on the side. My bra is not particularly tight. I wonder if that could cause this though. I'm 41 and have Fibromyalgia.

Hi, sorry for not replying sooner I somehow missed the notification. Fibromyalgia is not really well known and explained condition, but I'm sure you're very familiar with it's main symptom - the pain. IS there a chance that this shooting pain might be associated with this condition as well. Do you have a chance to talk to your doctor about this?