Hi! I'm five months pregnant. I read something about developing shingles during pregnancy. I don’t have any symptoms but I started to worry. I'm not sure now will shingles in pregnancy lead to any problems with my baby? Please, can somebody tell me what the best pain relief medications for shingles in pregnancy are? Thanks!

Hi! I hope that you don't have any symptoms of shingles such as a rash or burning skin pain. If you do, you need to go see your doctor as soon as possible. Shingles (or herpes zoster) caused by the varicella-zoster virus. I think that the medical treatments for this type of infection are similar for women who are pregnant and those who are not. The main medications are Zovirax, Valtrex and Famvir, and all of them you can use during pregnancy. Also I'm sure that the pain of shingles may be relieved by paracetamol. Experts say that shingles can't harm your baby.