Hi, my mother has been diagnosed with parkinson's disease seven years ago. Up until now she didn't have any problems with her memory. But things have changed. She has started to forget things that happened just few hours ago. For instance, by four o'clock she can't remember what she had for two o'clock lunch. This is very disturbing for her and the rest of our family as well. What I was wondering is does parkinson’s disease cause dementia or is something else causing these problems?

Hi, Parkinson's disease can be an overwhelming experience not just for person affected by it, but for the entire family as well. My father suffers form it, so I can understand what you are talking about. It is very hard to watch your loved ones deteriorate in such manner. I can deal with physical changes, but the mental decay is unbearable. My father also has problems with his memory. But, when we took him to see the doctor, he told us that sometimes dementia in Parkinson's patients could be caused by another condition that affects central nervous system. He explained that dementia caused by Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's and Lewy body dementia have the same cause and that it is very hard to distinguish the exact cause in elderly people dementia. It is possible your mother has Parkinson's dementia, but you should take her to see a doctor who will make a proper diagnosis.