My 11 year old son was recently diagnosed with vocal cord dysfunction and GERD. He is concerned that he also has difficulty breathing several times throughout the day where his vocal cords and throat are not the problem. He feels like he can't get enough air even though he can brethe in and out. His x-rays and PMTs were normal. These breathing issues are significantly effecting his quality of life. Have you heard of the combination of breathing difficulties. He is very scared and feels quite alone. Are there any chat rooms for kids with this disorder? Thank you for your help. We are desperate!

I feel the same thing as you described multiple times a day, I have been diagnosed with very severe VCD and GERD.  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***

best wishes-
Mary

My 11 year old son has VERY similar symptoms and concerns. He has been diagnosed with GERD. He is going for VCD testing tomorrow. Symptoms have been getting worse over the past 3 years to the point where he is unable to participate in his favorite sport, wrestling. He coughs ALL the time and chest gets very tight when participating in any type of endurance activity. He is too feels very alone and completely frustrated.

Has your son been given any treatment options? Are they making a difference?

My 11 year old son is going for VCD testing tomorrow. He has GERD and the same syptoms as your osn for the past 3+ years now. We have had all types of testing done...allergy, GERD, Bronchoscopy, asthma, etc. Nothing has made any difference especially when participating in any type of endurance activity. My son is VERY frustrated and feels like noone will listen/help him.

Has your son had any success with treatment for the VCD? I just want to offer my son some relief and reassurance that he will be OK. He so loves sports, especially wrestling which he has been told he cannot participate in at this time.

Nice to know that my son is not the only one experiecing these symptoms yet hope there is relief in site for him.

Our 11 y/o daughter has had VCD for over a year. She was treated for asthma for 2 years before they finally sorted out she has VCD. She has it with any severe respiratory virus, and with any exposure to large amounts of smoke (bonfires, etc.) We are currently treating with a large dose of Ativan for sedation with the onset of the problem, but I'd rather not continue that indefinitely. Her attacks are only at night, and very severe with stridor and retracting. They can last over 12 hours without intervention.