I recently read about a famous singer in a band having problems with his vocal chords, and having to have an operation. He described being unable to sing well, and it seems I have the same problem. I mean, I was never a singer in the first place :-) but shouting and screaming is difficult for me, meaning it is painful. Could I have a lump on my vocal cord?

It is possible I guess, but obviously we are unable to tell from all this distance! It seems like a diagnosis that could only be made by doing x-rays, an ultrasound or something like that. I am sure that many things could be causing those symptoms besides a lump, it could be an infection or something as well. I vote "go and see a doctor".

I second the previous post. I have had trouble talking and swallowing in the past, and when I saw my doctor he told me to stop smoking. It was hard, but I did quit and now my voice has gone back to normal and the trouble swallowing is gone completely as well. I feel a lot healthier all round now.