I just started participating in my Church choir. I have to say that it is an awful lot of fun, as well as very fulfilling and spiritual. One thing that one can perhaps complain about is sore vocal chord though - I feel like I have been shouting for hours on end. Are there any herbs I can take to soothe my vocal chords?

yes there are. not herbs per-say... but there is something you can do. I have been in choir and singing for 14 years. One thing I would suggest first of all is to sing with your diaphragm. Throat pain or vocal hoarseness is usually caused by singing way to much with your throat. It hurts... I know. The best thing to do is to drink lemon water. Them acid in the lemon will help repair your vocal chords. you can also drink hot lemon tea. I would not advise to drink the tea right before but after it helps a lot. Also, after singing, drink tea with both lemon and honey. It helps with healing the vocal chords and also the honey helps to soothe. As before, I would not advise to drink anything with honey or sugars before singing. room temperature water is best for that. Good luck and God's speed! Remember, sing with your heart... thats what he wants to hear! :-)

Marshmallow and Licorice are both excellent herbs for soothing the mucus membranes of the body. You can take them either as tea or tincture - see a herbalist, but yes technique is important, there should not be tension in the body. warming up before hand AND AFTERWARDS is just as important as it would be using any other muscles of the body. lots of examples can be found on line but the best I have ever seen is Per Bristow.