yesterday evening he went out for his first run ever with the old man. We did 1.75 miles at the local metro park trail. It is my mission to get this kid into shape before wrestling season arrives. Running 3 days a week and weight lifting 3 days a week are in his immediate future. He actually seems to be looking forward to it.

nice. How was your pace? Great skills he is learning.

I'd guess around 9:00/mile was the pace.

not too bad. Nice time for both of you, and I don't mean the clock.

Nice you can share something like that with your son. Sounds like it went well. :wiggle:

running with the kidlet is so good. watch out though, you may be creating a monster that'll come back and kick your butt!

What weight does he plan wrestling at?

I give you 3 months before you're begging him to slow down.

Kids recover much too quickly.

How old is he? I think it's great to get out and so stuff with the kids. I try and do it all the time as well. My son is only 6 so I don't have him running but sometimes we wake up early on a Saturday morning and he rides while I run.

It's just nice to enjoy time with them before they get to an age when they don't want to. :umno:

You're making your kid work out? You're, like, the meanest dad ever! :wink:

What weight does he plan wrestling at?

Good question. He's 5'7" 155# right now but wouldn't take too much effort to get to 145 and maybe 140 w/o getting into any unhealthy eating practices. He's got the kind of build that is conducive to getting very strong w/o getting bulked up. Wide shoulders and long limbs.

Is your son an attention w**** like you?

:moon:

Is your son an attention w**** like you? :moon:

Definitely. He shies away from cameras and anything else that might possibly put him in a position to have to talk to anyone.

What weight does he plan wrestling at?
Good question. He's 5'7" 155# right now but wouldn't take too much effort to get to 145 and maybe 140 w/o getting into any unhealthy eating practices. 14 yrs old (15 in December) and I expect by this time next year I'll be looking up at him. He's got the kind of build that is conducive to getting very strong w/o getting bulked up. Wide shoulders and long limbs.
Sounds like our son. He wrestled three years and change, into his sophomore year of h.s. He did go to the junior high equivalent of the state tournament when he was in eighth grade, and was the first wrestler from his junior high to ever go to state as a heavyweight (he was about 6' and 185 lbs at the time. Going with the weights can only help.

What weight does he plan wrestling at?
This will be his 9th year of wrestling but I'm not expecting big things from him unless he sticks it out into his junior and senior year. Around here, a freshman at any weight above 125 lbs is going to be wrestling upperclassmen who are just physically and mentally more mature. Plus, he's just not an overly aggressive kid. I swear he sometimes goes into his matches in a coma. The few times he's gone into a match all wound up or po'd about something he's done great. I'm still searching for a way to piss him off before each match.....