Hello. I'm 26 year old male and I would like to discuss one problem with people who maybe had some experience with this.
You see, one tooth was troubling me for at least a year and about six weeks ago I have decided to visit dentist. I just want to tell you that I have waited so long because I'm terrified when I think on dentist and I'm scared of anything connected with them. Anyway, the dentist putted the new crown on it and I was very satisfied with it. But, as soon as I came home- the new problem appeared. It became very sensitive to cold drinks. This is killing me for almost six weeks now and I don’t know what to do about it!

Hello. I'm very sorry that you have experienced this problem but I must tell you that your dentist probably made a mistake.
I am surprised that the dentist would have put a crown on the tooth if you had indicated occasional problems with the tooth.
There is probably undergoing process under your new crown and that’s why you should visit your dentist again.
He will probably remove that new crown and replace it with some medication that will affect your tooth nerve and prevent further irritation or maybe remove this nerve in one procedure called root canal. My advice is to maybe wait a little while longer, but if it doesn't get better pretty soon then go have the root canal procedure.
Wish you luck!

couldn't agree more. I think that she is dealing with some kind of inflammation, maybe even doctor made a mistake and he did this procedure, this permanent tooth replacement under the inflammation. I totally agree that you should visit your dentist again, explain what the problem is and I am sure that he will do the job again. this is something that needs to be treated very soon because if you wait to see will some progress going to happen, you can only make it worse. it has been 6 weeks, right? Well, you shouldn't wait anymore, that is my advice. 

I've had a similiar problem after I had new crown. It can happen because the nerves are close to the surface of the crown and the crown transfers heat and cold more easily than a tooth does. It just takes time. I've had 3 crowns and all of them did the same thing. One took 3 months before the temperature sensitivity went away but now I can drink coffee or eat ice cream and it's all okay. Just avoid temperature extremes and let the nerves settle down. You'll probably be fine. However, this ONLY applies for temperature or a bit of pressure. If it hurts at other times you could be brewing up an infection under the crown and waiting will make it much worse. Good luck

Hi, I have a similar problem where I am experiencing sensitivity as well. I have had four crowns put in (front teeth just over a week ago) by a specialist (Prosthodontist) and I am even experiencing a nervy pain when I floss between. I have had root canal work done in the past for two (which I am not having any difficulty with) however the other two are causing me problems. Had the two checked that by a Endodontist just prior to having the crowns put in, in case I needed root canal work but he said that the two front teeth are healthy.
I hope too that this sensitivity subsides soon. Going back to my dentist soon.
Also one on my crowns has a slight discolouration compared to the others?

Did your sensitivity ever subside on its own?  My situation is that I had a crown put on a lower back molar just over a year ago.  The dentist had removed the enamel down to the dentin to make a seat for the crown.  He had installed a porcelain coated gold crown. It had come off about 4 months ago and I had to return to him to have it cemented back on.  At 2 weeks ago, that crown came off again and broke when I bit down on it.  This time the dentist had a ceramic crown made and had just installed it the other day.  Super sensitive pain while he cemented it on and he said the sensitivity would slowly go away as the cement dried good after 24 hrs.    Its been 3 days now and the cold sensitivity remains strong when I drink or eat something chilled.  Otherwise there is no sensitivity when not consuming.   I did not have this problem with the first crown  I am wondering now if the sensitivity is because of the different type of crown or perhaps a screw up with the cement. Or perhaps caused some damage to the remaining enamel while scraping the old cement off.  He did some minor additional grinding while fitting the new crown. eh

It depends on how deepmthey need to drill to remove decay. My crown was a fillibng drilled twice over the years. I t was very close to nerve and had taken 4 mnths to settle down with no pain. However I`m now have an absest meaning $ 1000 fix and he knew it would be iffy to not need a root canl later but they want to try to save the tooth these days. Thanks for the help dentist, now it will cost me $ 1069 with no insurance which I had the time. thanks hope you do better

I had a crown put on a bottom molar. It was porcelain coated gold. Never had sensitivity. After several months it came out. The dentist then installed a plain ceramic type white crown. When I got home and drank something cold it hurt like hell. Even the gums in my entire mouth became sensitive to cold. I can not understand why. Anyway it took a couple of months for the sensitivity to go away. Now I do not feel anything. I do not know if the dentist had failed to do something to prevent this. Seems like there could be some application or treatment he could have done before installing the crown. Or maybe it is because of the type of crown he had installed on me that had transferred the cold so well to the dentine. This dentist is a crook anyways I now go to another for my checkups. He probably installed that gold crown so it would purposely fall out. He kept it and most likely pocketed the gold sale from it. Then installed me a much less expensive crown at no charge. Corrupted dentists are like politicians, they know all the angles to cheat the system.

Im having the same problem got 2 crowns while I had insurance no pain to the teeth prior to the crowns. I got them about 6 weeks ago. for weeks the pain was aweful now its just kinda like an annoying twinge. Notes prior the crown say possible root canal I think he should have done it prior to the crown while I had insurance. Did you get the root canal and does it now feel better

I had crowns put on top 4 teeth 6years ago and still extremely sensitive..it kills me to eat anything cold..

I recently had a crown on one of my lower molars replaced with a new one. I immediately had huge sensitivity problems when eating on the side of the new crown and when drinking cold liquids. I went back to the dentist for a bite adjustment (grinding down of a high spot) but the problems persisted. The nerve was so disturbed that it caused the entire side of my face and neck to become sore. But now, after 5 weeks, the problems are starting to slowly go away and the nerve is settling down. I think it takes time (in some cases) for the nerve to adjust to a new crown.

I have the same problem, my front teeth with old crowns was fine until new crowns put on.  Currently in cold weather, and I went for a walk and came home.  One of the three is sensitive, but not too severe.  I tried to use salt water to rinse the last 5 days, the pain came and went, but it's still there when I drink cold water.  I have not told the dentist since the holidays.

Yep, I had a crown placed on a lower left molar In December. The original tooth was significantly cracked. I didn't have much pain before the procedure but after, it was excruciating. It's now been 4 weeks since the porcelain crown went on and I finally was able to stop taking pain killers 24/7 about 10 days ago. I still have to take mild paracetamol now but only maybe once every day or two. The pain is mainly from anything hot and cold that I put in my mouth and biting down. It is getting better and I feel sure that somewhere down the track soon I will have to take nothing at all. It feels to me like the nerve had a through bashing by my dentist during the process but it's now slowly recovering. Good luck to everyone.

did the pain go away? I had similar problems 3 months later, not a lot of pain but some irretation when biting down and for srue sensetive to hot/cold, dentist is hoping for now fractures which freaked me out.

I can't help but think my dentist knew that my cracked molar needed more than a crown, but went for what would be the most profitable.  The dental office was more concerned with me paying the bill in full before the procedure - that should have been a red flag, but when you're in such desperate pain and need to be seen right away, you feel at their mercy.  I was in the worst pain of my life - constant throbbing pain extending through my entire jaw, cheeks, and into inner ear.  I've had tons of dental work in the past, but never this excrutiating.  Dentist gave me an estimate for root canal at the same time, in case the crown didn't help...claiming he would first try to save the tooth.  My concern and question is that I seem to read this same scenario very often - about extreme pain after the crown and probable infection or decay continuing under the crown.  Isn't that what dentists get the big bucks for - to know how to sufficiently detect, diagnose and repair these problems?   Can't xrays identify how deep down the problem goes? Or are they just guessing? 

In the waiting room, I counted over ten people scheduling crowns and root canals. I couldn't help but get the feeling that this dentist sees dollar signs when we walk in with cracked teeth because he can profit off doing 2-3 procedures, when it could have been taken care of immediately.  He said if the pain continues to fester....then we'll try a root canal.  Well, I'm festering.  The temporary crown was still tender but didn't hurt.  The permament crown hurts terribly. I told them I couldn't bite down and something was hitting - they dismissed me, saying everyone feels that at first.  A crown is the most expensive procedure, short of veneers and bridges - I paid out of pocket about $1800.  A root canal will be a tad less than that and an extraction is "only" about $500.  Once the pain seeps so deeply that you can't eat, sleep or function - isn't it beyond the point of no return?  I've read that root canals don't necessarily solve the problem either.  You could potentially spend $4K with still no relief.  Xrays showed several other cracks in teeth with older fillings that needed to be replaced - I don't doubt that, as I have extreme sensitivity on all sides.  Unfortunately, I have no dental insurance, so I can't afford to "date" several dentists to find a bedside manner I trust.  They all advertise working with people on payment plans, but the reality is, they demand payment in full for $4 grand in dental repairs. Does anyone know of any dental insurance that doesn't require a year of paying premiums, before they'll help cover something?