April 2, 2012

I was smelling smoke. No matter where I went, I could smell a faint cigarette odor. It was annoying, especially because I do not smoke. I don't know anyone who smokes. This came on suddenly and I tried to figure out what I had changed in my life.  The only thing I had changed  was that I had started taking a Thyroid supplement from the Health Food Store, called TriStar Naturals Thyroid Plus Supplement.  I decided to go off the supplement to see if it made a difference.  After a few days the smell started to go away and after a couple of weeks it was totally gone.  I haven't smelled smoke since.  I don't know for sure if the Thyroid supplement caused this condition, however, it has not returned since I stopped taking the Thyroid supplement.  Thought this might be helpful to someone.

I hope this helps someone! I smelled cigarette smoke off and on for about 2-3 years. Had all MRI, EGG(spell?) tests run, basic blood work, loads of nasal sprays, creams and everything was clear. The neurologist, ENT no one could figure out why I was smelling. I even went to the ER one night because I couldn't stand it! The Dr. of course did a cat scan and blood work and couldn't come up with anything so sent me home with a rx combo of pain medicine and barbiturates!! I of course never filled the rx.
After the years of no one knowing, endless blog searching, unanswered emails to Dr.'s, even tried Dr. Oz, Fox news Dr. Manny Alverez etc. No answers. Well, ended up going to new OB GYN after several years of asking for a hormone test due to symptoms I was having, some days feeling like I was going crazy and thinking I might be going through Peri-menopause. I went to a new one because my current one obviously didn't believe in any hormone testing until you are IN or THOUGH with menopause. Being 43 I knew I was old enough to be going through something. My new Ob GYN (and BFF LoL) tested me and found I was almost depleted of estrogen and progesterone. Well after 6 months of HRT feeling like myself again I also realized I had not smelled any smoke!!! Maybe its a coincidence or not, but -knock on wood- after 2-3 years of phantom smoke, years of sleeping with toothpaste in my nostrils so I could sleep without smelling cigarette smoke, years of being so exhausted of smelling the smoke- bringing me to tears, my hormones are in balance and no smell of smoke!! So if you have not tried checking your hormones, insist of some blood work...what could it hurt?  I hope this helps at least one person out there because I feel your pain, exhaustion and aggravation.

I have been having this forcthe past year and a half amybe, and am going thru peri-menopause. I hope this what i'm experiencing! Thank you!!

Did ur symptoms go away?